Classical Music Forum banner

Who is your favorite Composer?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Mahler
3,907 Posts
This thread looks familiar, but I'll contribute - Bach by a large margin over all others.
You are correct. We have been down this path many times before.
That is why I will pass.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
This thread looks familiar, but I'll contribute - Bach by a large margin over all others.

By the way, Clara Schumann stands out here like a sore thumb.
It's sad because she may have had the musical potential to stand with the others but was marred by societal expectations, responsibilities as a wife and a mother, her concert career, and self-doubt

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Or "Why did you put Chopin and Rachmaninov on the list instead of Tippett and Judith Weir?"
I'm just saying that Clara Schumann is not popular, but the four I mentioned are. Monteverdi-- probably the most famous early music composer, and a real innovator. Shostakovich-- one of the most popular 20th century composers, with famous symphonies and a well-regarded set of string quartets. Schoenberg-- influential, and many like his music. Bruckner-- not that popular among casual CM fans but popular enough here that he could get a vote or two.

·
Premium Member
5,192 Posts
Well, Clara Wieck (Schumann) has so far received more votes than Chopin, Strauss (?Richard, ?Johann), Verdi, Handel, Elgar, Debussy ...................

1 - 20 of 20 Posts