Classical Music Forum banner
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
Glazunov, Tchaikovsky, Myaskovsky, Rachmaninoff, Bruckner, Massenet, Schumann, Wagner, Strauss, Bax.
2,179 Posts
Timpani for me, although I like bass drums and snare/side drums also (and the bells!).
Nielsen's employment of the side drums in his Fifth Symphony may likely win many converts. The genius of this man.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I honestly love the crotales. They are interesting- especially how they are used with a string bow. However, I love the timpani- I love the intensity of the instrument. Even better, put all of those together! Place the crotale on a timpani and I think you move the tuning pedal to make the sound. By doing so you get this eerie, wind-like, empty sound. Truly wicked. It is used in this piece me and my band our playing called "Gone" by Scott McAllister, part of a clarinet concerto he wrote.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My favorite percussion instrument is probably the marimba. I love the low notes and the resonance it has. It creates a beautiful tone.
I recently started renting one made of rosewood and it has such a deep, beautiful sound. I'm so in love.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Piano, if that counts. Second favorite: xylophone. It has lots of potential for special effects. I love the way that Saint-Saëns uses it in Danse Macabre and Carnival of the Animals.

Reactions: hpowders

·
Registered
18,973 Posts
Piano, if that counts. Second favorite: xylophone. It has lots of potential for special effects. I love the way that Saint-Saëns uses it in Danse Macabre and Carnival of the Animals.
Yes, I initially chose piano too. An obvious choice, although the triangle was tough competition.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.