Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are some of your favorite piano transcriptions? I was just enjoying Busoni's "Chamber Fantasia on Bizet's Opera Carmen" as well as Andrei Schulz Evler's Concert Arabesque on Themes of "On The Blue Danube"

· Registered
1,975 Posts
There are SO many piano transcriptions that I love...

The most notable for me are the Bach-Busoni transcriptions: Of other Bach arrangements I've heard, Busoni seems to be unique in that he both elaborates and adds his own style to some of the transcriptions, while also staying loyal to the music. The best ones IMO are the Chaconne, Prelude and Fugue in D major, Prelude and Fugue in Eb "St. Anne", Ich ruf zu dir..., and Wachet auf... Even though I'm not big on this next piece, Busoni's piano transc. of the Toccata and Fugue in d minor BWV 565 is pretty good

· Registered
10,697 Posts
what are some of your favorite piano transcriptions? I was just enjoying Busoni's "Chamber Fantasia on Bizet's Opera Carmen" as well as Andrei Schulz Evler's Concert Arabesque on Themes of "On The Blue Danube"
My own favourite romantic transcriptions are the Wagner/Gould Siegfried Idyll and Maestersinger. I also like Albeniz/Godowsky tango, the Wagner/Rudy transcriptions, the Berlioz/Liszt symphony, and maybe Rachmaninov/Nyireghazi symphony (or is it concerto? I can't remember.)

One pianist worth exploring for this sort of thing is Earl Wild, his Gershwin etudes. The release on Great Pianists is good, though ultimately the style is too cocktail bar for me. Ronald Stevenson too, the release called The Transcendental Tradition with his enormous Peter Grimes.

I'd be very interested to know what other posters make of Gershwin/Finnissy. I was disappointed, but if others have found something interesting there, I'll try again. Same for the Gould/Wagner Gotterdammerung and the Mahler-Cooke/Stevenson/White Symphony 10.

· Registered
7,678 Posts
I tend to prefer the originals. There are some magical versions of Prelude a l´Apres Midi ... on youtube, such as the historical one by George Copeland.

I´ve got a few recorded specialites, including

- Winterreise in a solo piano version by Liszt, disappointingly recorded by Risalitti;
- Sacre (Atamian);
- Bartok´s Dance Suite (Gabos; I imagine Kocsis would be good);
- Liszt´s Ad Nos Fantasia (Milne, quite good; the old analogue on Argo (or L´Oiseau Lyre?) is better than the later on Hyperion).
- Boris Godunov-Suite (Khudolei)

· Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
One pianist worth exploring for this sort of thing is Earl Wild, his Gershwin etudes. The release on Great Pianists is good, though ultimately the style is too cocktail bar for me. Ronald Stevenson too, the release called The Transcendental Tradition with his enormous Peter Grimes.
I just ordered a copy of one of his transcription cd's , so I shall see.

Rachmaninov/Nyireghazi symphony (or is it concerto?
it's the second piano concerto

I'd be very interested to know what other posters make of Gershwin/Finnissy. I was disappointed, but if others have found something interesting there, I'll try again. Same for the Gould/Wagner Gotterdammerung and the Mahler-Cooke/Stevenson/White Symphony 10.
Yea I wasn't impressed with Finnissy either, haven't tried the other 2 yet.

This was the cd, randomly acquired, that sent me down the transcription path initially, its excellent.
Forehead Glasses Chin Vision care Sleeve

G

·

The most notable for me are the Bach-Busoni transcriptions: Of other Bach arrangements I've heard, Busoni seems to be unique in that he both elaborates and adds his own style to some of the transcriptions, while also staying loyal to the music. The best ones IMO are the Chaconne, Prelude and Fugue in D major, Prelude and Fugue in Eb "St. Anne", Ich ruf zu dir..., and Wachet auf... Even though I'm not big on this next piece, Busoni's piano transc. of the Toccata and Fugue in d minor BWV 565 is pretty good
+1

I'm not sure this is a favorite, exactly, but it is certainly hair-raising!

· Registered
18 Posts
The king of the transcription, for me, is Shura Cherkassky, with Horowitz not far behind. I like the Liszt opera transcriptions Verdi, Bellini, etc).

Wilhelm Kempff made recorded some of his own Bach transcriptions for DG late in his life. There are a couple of Naxos historical CDS of Bach piano transcriptions of all sorts.

My favourite of all is Samuil Feinberg on vol 3 of the Melodiya Russian Piano School; six rather quiet and unfeted Bach tracks, some recorded a few days before he died in 1962. It is among the most profound music making I have ever heard.

· Registered
9,759 Posts
Here you go with the main man.

Reactions: mochisushi

· Registered
9,759 Posts
Try Idil Biret. Much better. She seems like one of the finest Beethoven pianists along with the likes of Ashkenazy or Pollini.
Thanks but no thanks. (Will hear the Biret version later on LOL...)

Gould is always the main man. Biret is good but where did you get the concept that she was more philosophically inveighed versus Gould?

Reactions: mochisushi

· Registered
4 Posts
I'm a Ravel aficionado, but at the top of my list are these three transcriptions of excerpts of Daphnis et Chloé:
http://www.ars-produktion.de/Ravel_...eiten/shop_art_id/439/tpl/shop_article_detail
Flash photography Sleeve Coat Collar Blazer

Also, here's my review of the SA-CD:
http://www.sa-cd.net/showreviews/9354#10663

· Registered
60 Posts

I completely agree with you

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.