Classical Music Forum banner

What's your favorite Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg?

• Barenboim: Bayreuth Festival Chorus & Orchestra (1999 live recording)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Furtwängler: Bayreuth Festival Chorus & Orchestra (1943 live recording)

• Goodall: Sadlers Wells Chorus & Sadlers Wells Opera Orchestra (in English)

• Haitink: Orchestra & Chorus of the Royal Opera House (1997 live recording)

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Jochum; Berlin Deutsche Oper Chorus, Berlin Deutsche Oper Orchestra

• Karajan: Bayreuth Festival Chorus & Orchestra (1951 live recording)

• Karajan: Staatskapelle Dresden, Leipzig Radio Chorus

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Kempe: Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, Berlin Deutsche Oper Chorus

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • Knappertsbusch: Bayreuth Festival Chorus & Orchestra (1960 live recording)

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • Kubelik: Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra, Bavarian Radio Chorus

Votes: 19 37.3%
  • Reiner: Metropolitan Opera Orchestra and Chorus (1953 live recording)

• Sawallisch: Bavarian State Orchestra, Bavarian State Opera Chorus

• Solti: Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, Vienna State Opera Chorus

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Solti: Chicago Symphony Orchestra & Chorus (1995 live recording)

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 7.8%
21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
15,706 Posts
So many opera lovers and just 10 votes.........:confused:
Exactly my thoughts, so I am bumping this thread because I want to see a lot more votes which will help me sort out all the Meistersingers, especially the four I own: Solti, Keilberth, Karajan 1951, and Goodall. I am not voting because I really have only heard two, Solti and Goodall, the other two came in Wagner sets and I have not given them a good listen yet. I can say that a quick check says of my three sung-in-German sets, the best sound is Solti, followed by Keilberth, and then Karajan. Oh, are any of these live?

Reactions: Pugg

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Exactly my thoughts, so I am bumping this thread because I want to see a lot more votes which will help me sort out all the Meistersingers, especially the four I own: Solti, Keilberth, Karajan 1951, and Goodall. I am not voting because I really have only heard two, Solti and Goodall, the other two came in Wagner sets and I have not given them a good listen yet. I can say that a quick check says of my three sung-in-German sets, the best sound is Solti, followed by Keilberth, and then Karajan. Oh, are any of these live?
Actually, I believe that they all are.

·
Registered
16,164 Posts
The versions I have are the two by Karajan. As the later one is in the better sound I vote for that even though the first was obviously a special occasion.

Solti says in his memoirs that he was never happy with his first version so he re-recorded it. He says he would like to have done the same with Tristan. Of course he died before that could be done.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
I know it gets short shrift from a lot of Wagner fans but Karajan's Dresden Meistersinger is still a nice version and Adam as Sachs is not nearly as awful as some would have you believe.

Reactions: alan davis

·
Registered
753 Posts
I know it gets short shrift from a lot of Wagner fans but Karajan's Dresden Meistersinger is still a nice version and Adam as Sachs is not nearly as awful as some would have you believe.
I actually have a bigger aversion to the over-the-top gimmicky Beckmesser from Geraint Evans, who is barely even singing the role in parts. Besides the superior sound, for me it is a bit stiff and lacks all the energy, wittiness and conversational quality of Karajan's Bayreuth recording. Not awful by any means, it's just not a top contender.

·
Registered
16,164 Posts
I actually have a bigger aversion to the over-the-top gimmicky Beckmesser from Geraint Evans, who is barely even singing the role in parts. Besides the superior sound, for me it is a bit stiff and lacks all the energy, wittiness and conversational quality of Karajan's Bayreuth recording. Not awful by any means, it's just not a top contender.
I had never been satisfied with the recording of [Mastersingers] I made in the 1970s. I disliked it even as we were making it; the cast........was not right.'
(Georg Solti)

·
Registered
711 Posts
I recently got interested in this opera.

Who is the most rounded Hans Sachs in terms of vocal and psychological (I don't mind live performance and 78rpm)? Schorr, Hotter, Adam, Stewart etc.?

Who is the most convincing Eva? I did a quick sampling on Youtube and found the young Schwarzkopf and Grummer stand out.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I recently got interested in this opera.

Who is the most rounded Hans Sachs in terms of vocal and psychological (I don't mind live performance and 78rpm)? Schorr, Hotter, Adam, Stewart etc.?
Schorr and Hotter, absolutely. Also Paul Schöffler and Norman Bailey. There are several other good ones as well, but those are probably my favorites.

Who is the most convincing Eva? I did a quick sampling on Youtube and found the young Schwarzkopf and Grummer stand out.
You've hit on two of the best, though I might give a slight edge to Schwarzkopf as the best overall interpretation. I'd also add Elisabeth Schumann and Lisa Della Casa. Gundula Janowitz and Karita Mattila are perhaps just a notch below.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Schorr and Hotter, although Hans Hermann Nissen had the better voice for the part.

[/QUOTE]Who is the most convincing Eva? I did a quick sampling on Youtube and found the young Schwarzkopf and Grummer stand out.[/QUOTE]

Grümmer is my favorite by far, followed by Donath, Della Casa, and Güden.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
How do you find Otto Wiener as Sachs? He has few admirers on this forum.

·
Registered
15,706 Posts
How do you find Otto Wiener as Sachs? He has few admirers on this forum.
Not the richest voice. Really does not get the true character of Sachs. The recording is otherwise quite nice, but I am looking to the Sawallisch set for perhaps my main set. It is ordered. No the wait.

·
Premium Member
Haydn, Mozart, Vivaldi, Wagner
13,464 Posts
Well what do you know. I thought I gave this to the library, but I guess ii didn't.
Will give it another listen tonight!:)

Reactions: SixFootScowl

·
Premium Member
Haydn, Mozart, Vivaldi, Wagner
13,464 Posts
So, how was it?
It's pretty good.
The singers are all good and it's conducted well.
Sound is good. Not a bad Meister.
A little on the light side.
I'll listen to it now and then.

Reactions: SixFootScowl
21 - 40 of 89 Posts