Classical Music Forum banner

What's your favorite Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg?

• Barenboim: Bayreuth Festival Chorus & Orchestra (1999 live recording)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Furtwängler: Bayreuth Festival Chorus & Orchestra (1943 live recording)

• Goodall: Sadlers Wells Chorus & Sadlers Wells Opera Orchestra (in English)

• Haitink: Orchestra & Chorus of the Royal Opera House (1997 live recording)

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Jochum; Berlin Deutsche Oper Chorus, Berlin Deutsche Oper Orchestra

• Karajan: Bayreuth Festival Chorus & Orchestra (1951 live recording)

• Karajan: Staatskapelle Dresden, Leipzig Radio Chorus

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Kempe: Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, Berlin Deutsche Oper Chorus

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • Knappertsbusch: Bayreuth Festival Chorus & Orchestra (1960 live recording)

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • Kubelik: Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra, Bavarian Radio Chorus

Votes: 19 37.3%
  • Reiner: Metropolitan Opera Orchestra and Chorus (1953 live recording)

• Sawallisch: Bavarian State Orchestra, Bavarian State Opera Chorus

• Solti: Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, Vienna State Opera Chorus

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Solti: Chicago Symphony Orchestra & Chorus (1995 live recording)

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 7.8%
61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
Haydn, Mozart, Vivaldi, Wagner
13,465 Posts
Kubelik is a must for all Meistersinger fans.
Great conducting and the best cast.
Luckily since it's so expensive right now, it's on youtube.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Kubelik is a must for all Meistersinger fans.
Great conducting and the best cast.
Luckily since it's so expensive right now, it's on youtube.

$16.95 as a download from Opera Depot. If Andy's still doing CDs it's $28.95.

Reactions: adriesba

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Yes, I believe he is still doing CDs. I just got some in the mail last week.

By the way, how does the sound quality of Opera Depot's Kubelik Meistersinger compare to the sound quality of the other releases of it?
I have both so I'll compare and report back.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Did you figure out whether one sounds better?
Not yet Adriesba. I'll try to do a quick comparison over the next day or so, honest!;)

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've been listening to a lot of Meistersinger recordings on YouTube. Some I gave up fairly quickly, some I listened to extensively and even the whole opera several times. I'll straight away dismiss Jochum, Bohm, Sawallisch, Solti and Karajan except for his 1974 BPO radio broadcast, which is excellent, and maybe his 1951 with Schwarzkopf.

Next, which Knappertsbusch recordings? I dismiss the two usual Bayreuth ones as being over-theatrical and even a bit shouty in places. Hard to choose between his 1951 Vienna and his 1955 Bavarian, and I like both, but I'll go with the 1951 which is close to a top choice. Not the greatest sound, but it's quite smooth.

Most of the historical recordings are in poor sound, though some are quite clear, so I won't go there. I do, however, like the Abendroth 1943. Honourable mention then goes to Reiner 1955, Kempe 1951, Kubelik 1967, Cluytens 1957.

So my top choices?
Kempe 1956 - no surprise here. Wonderful singing and conducting and a thoroughly musical performance with plenty of humanity.
Video version: Honourable mention to Met/Levine and VPO Gatti. Both very good musically. Top choice you may find surprising, but it's the 2017 Bayreuth with Jordan. This is just thoroughly musical all through, well sung and conducted and gives a lot of listening pleasure.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Not yet Adriesba. I'll try to do a quick comparison over the next day or so, honest!;)
Can't hear any significant difference between the two. You could safely get the Opera Depot version and I wouldn't expect you to be disappointed.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Kubelik, finally a Walther that has no bark, no bite, is not strained, does for this in terms of lyricism what Wunderlich does in other literature. And Janowitz, good lord.
I would have hoped for more from Solti, Van Dam, Heppner, but it's good, not the equal of Kubelik. Van Dam, as magnificent a singer as he is, seems to be more of a singer husbanding his resources than a character.
But always hoping for a tenor that does what needs to be done, and that's Konya. Sappy, spring-like singing.:clap:

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Kubelik, finally a Walther that has no bark, no bite, is not strained, does for this in terms of lyricism what Wunderlich does in other literature. And Janowitz, good lord.
I would have hoped for more from Solti, Van Dam, Heppner, but it's good, not the equal of Kubelik. Van Dam, as magnificent a singer as he is, seems to be more of a singer husbanding his resources than a character.
But always hoping for a tenor that does what needs to be done, and that's Konya. Sappy, spring-like singing.:clap:
I've just listened to BBC Radio 3's Building a Library podcast on Die Meisteringer and the reviewer also recommended the Kubelik. Unfortunately it's not exactly easy to acquire these days. The Arts Archive transfer they recommend is selling at prices of upwards of £140 on ebay these days. I've also come across one on the Calig label, which is selling at a little less (£44) but I don't know what this transfer is like.

·
Registered
15,706 Posts
I've just listened to BBC Radio 3's Building a Library podcast on Die Meisteringer and the reviewer also recommended the Kubelik. Unfortunately it's not exactly easy to acquire these days. The Arts Archive transfer they recommend is selling at prices of upwards of £140 on ebay these days. I've also come across one on the Calig label, which is selling at a little less (£44) but I don't know what this transfer is like.
Do we need a mass letter-writing (or email) campaign to the record company? If they see enough sales, would they re-release it?

61 - 80 of 89 Posts