Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Chopin, Beethoven, Prokofiev
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is stage one of the eigth game in the "Favorite Recordings Of..." project. The goal here is to nominate recordings for Bach's Cello Suites. Separate participants may nominate the same recording several times, but the same person may not.

Nominations end after 7 days, or 1 day of inactivity. and we will vote on all works nominated. You may nominate up to 5 works, but you may only post nominations once. Note that we have made some changes to the overall system, you can see a summary here. Please include the name of the cellist, label, and year(if applicable). Example:

Fournier: 1961 Archiv

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
This is stage one of the eigth game in the "Favorite Recordings Of..." project. The goal here is to nominate recordings for Bach's Cello Suites. Separate participants may nominate the same recording several times, but the same person may not.

Nominations end after 7 days, or 1 day of inactivity. and we will vote on all works nominated. You may nominate up to 5 works, but you may only post nominations once. Note that we have made some changes to the overall system, you can see a summary here. Please include the name of the cellist, label, and year(if applicable). Example:

Fournier: 1961 Archiv
Sorry, but I guess that I'm still not quite clear about the nomination rules. Is every nominee included in the voting round, or just the ones with the most nominations?

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
A tough job. The cello suites have been the subject of a large number of excellent recordings, and of the about 250 recordings I know, I think at least 100 are first tier interpretations.

At the moment my choices would be:

Colin Carr Wigmore Hall Live 2013
Dmitri Badiarov Ramée 2010
Wieland Kuijken Arcana 2004
Mario Brunello Amadeus 1995
Leonardo Luckert DSP 2017

·
Registered
5 Posts
Won't include label/year of those already mentioned:

Starker
Casals
Fournier
Rostropovich (EMI, 1991)
Ma (CBS 1983, Sony re-issue 2010)

Ma is technically superb but bland by comparison to the others listed here.

My ranking order is:
Rostropovich
Casals
Starker
Fourier

Others, and there are numerous that are superb, fall below these.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Have you heard his third recording? I also found the first two pretty bland, but his latest recordings (and the live recordings I've heard) are far more interesting interpretively.
Different tastes. The first three on that list, I find uninteresting. Yes it's practically sacrilege to say that about one of those artists.

Fournier recorded a number of times. I do like the one from the early 60's.

I have a number of Suites recordings. All of Ma's are worthy as is Gendron and Queyras. Plus several others.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Different tastes. The first three on that list, I find uninteresting. Yes it's practically sacrilege to say that about one of those artists.
Maybe so, but I agree with you about Starker and Rostropovich - when the time comes to cull my collection of Bach cello suites, they will be the first to go. I've never understood the admiration for Starker's Mercury set; his later recordings on Sefel and RCA, while not ideal, are more interesting.. I still love the Casals set, even if I recognize that many others have played them better since.
Fournier recorded a number of times. I do like the one from the early 60's.
To be honest, I find Fournier pretty bland, although he does play beautifully.

I have a number of Suites recordings. All of Ma's are worthy as is Gendron and Queyras. Plus several others.
There are dozens of worthy recordings of the suites, many of them virtually unknown because the field is so dominated by big name cellists who have recorded them for so-called "major" labels.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Maybe so, but I agree with you about Starker and Rostropovich - when the time comes to cull my collection of Bach cello suites, they will be the first to go. I've never understood the admiration for Starker's Mercury set; his later recordings on Sefel and RCA, while not ideal, are more interesting.. I still love the Casals set, even if I recognize that many others have played them better since.

To be honest, I find Fournier pretty bland, although he does play beautifully.

There are dozens of worthy recordings of the suites, many of them virtually unknown because the field is so dominated by big name cellists who have recorded them for so-called "major" labels.
Quite true. I had to make myself stop collecting them. Got rid of a few

Some that I find interesting:
ter Linden, Haimovitz, Vardai.

And if you want a real change of pace:
Zlotkin and Dumas.

Reactions: haziz

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Quite true. I had to make myself stop collecting them. Got rid of a few

And if you want a real change of pace:
Zlotkin and Dumas.
I can't help myself. At least now, I listen via Spotify before deciding whether to buy yet another set.

I didn't much care for Dumas, but it's a shame that Zlotkin's set isn't more widely available - it's the only one I know that so ornaments the repeats.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts