Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
Chopin, Beethoven, Prokofiev
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my experience with the previous project, I have decided that it was too ambitious. The goal of this one is to simply offer a chance to discuss and vote, and to record the results in a spreadsheet. This thread is for updates, individual games will be posted in the "Polls and Games" sub-category.

Two stages for each work:

1. Nominations - this is where participants can nominate specific recordings
2. Voting - where participants vote on the recordings nominated, in a poll

Results will be recorded in the linked spreadsheet above. We will begin starting on the first work of the first tier of this list.

For nominations, each member can submit 3 nominations per day. Once 15 recordings have been nominated at least twice, nominations will close, and voting will begin.

Final Note: I am starting over from my previous project, that thread should be considered closed.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Results for the nominations:

Bohm: 1972 DG/VPO
Fricsay: 1958 DG/BPO
Furtwängler: 1942 Pristine/BPO
Furtwängler: 1954 Pristine/Philharmonia Lucerne
Furtwängler: 1998 EMI/BFO
Gardiner: 1996 Archiv Produktion/Orchestre Révolutionnaire Et Romantique
Harnoncourt: 1991 Teldec/Chamber Orchestra of Europe
Honeck: 2021 Reference Recordings/Pittsburgh SO
Immerseel: 2008 Zig Zag/Anima Eterna
Karajan: 1963 DG/BPO
Karajan: 1977 DG/BPO
Klemperer: 1957 Testament/Philharmonia (live)
Krivine: 2011 Naive/La Chambre Philharmonique
Reiner: 1962 RCA/CSO
Szell: 1961 Sony/Cleveland

·
Premium Member
5,192 Posts

Wand's recording with the NDR-SO also deserves to be in the poll. I was going to nominate it today.

·
Premium Member
5,192 Posts

How did Furtwangler manage to pull off that posthumous gig! Did he conduct a ghost orchestra? Did he conduct by proxy in a seance? And was it mastered in pristine digital stereo? That may finally give me an opportunity to actually enjoy a Furtwangler recording! .... Sorry, couldn't resist!

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Wand's recording with the NDR-SO also deserves to be in the poll. I was going to nominate it today.
I think that Toscanini's with the NBCSO in 1952 also deserved to be in. It's my favorite performance of the magnificent work that is the Choral symphony. Unfortunately I didn't even see this thread yesterday, otherwise I would have nominated it.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I've always found the 1998 Furtwängler to be lacking in energy, although some prefer it for the vastly improved sound quality
By that point, he so deeply understood the score, many remarked he had a near death-grip on the musical content of the symphony. Unfortunately, the smell in the concert hall kept many away.

·
Registered
11,132 Posts
Who among us know a good proportion of recordings of a much recorded work? There will be a tendency to vote for the better known and more familiar recordings. If the music is great there is a good chance this will throw up inspiring listening experiences. But it may miss a lot of very special recordings, don't you think?

·
Premium Member
7,162 Posts
Who among us know a good proportion of recordings of a much recorded work? There will be a tendency to vote for the better known and more familiar recordings. If the music is great there is a good chance this will throw up inspiring listening experiences. But it may miss a lot of very special recordings, don't you think?
That's the big problem I had with Trout's original lists too. Lesser known but just as worthy (or more worthy) recordings are totally overlooked. Basing recommendations on mentions or positive comments on Internet forums / Amazon recommendations is fatally flawed and is just gonna throw up the most well-known accounts or recordings recommended by those who shout the loudest. I'd much rather such lists be based on the poster's subjective opinion as I know at least they've listened to those recordings. How can you recommend recordings you've not heard?

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Obviously the point is to get a cross section of opinions as opposed to just one person’s. Certainly that is valuable.

I have found that when recordings become well known, there are obvious reasons for that when you actually listen to them. If you personally can’t understand why a recording has become famous and stood the test of time, that’s a perfect example of why hearing only one poster’s opinion is less valuable. You’re getting only one, biased opinion.

When giving recommendations, I try to at least address why certain recordings are widely popular even if I don’t personally like them as much.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
And that's why Nigel Kennedy's Four seasons is the greatest recording ever. 3 million people can't be wrong! . :lol:
From my post above:

"When giving recommendations, I try to at least address why certain recordings are widely popular even if I don't personally like them as much."

We know the difference between popular fads and artists that are popular among classical music connoisseurs, don't we? We can say the same for Andrea Bocelli.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
May I suggest that future polls should be modified slightly...

- Each person may only nominate 3 recordings (or 5?) but no additional nominations on subsequent days.
- A recording would need 3 nominations to be added to the list

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
- Each person may only nominate 3 recordings (or 5?) but no additional nominations on subsequent days.
I think this is a good idea, the next poll will allow nominators to nominate 5 different recordings only once per poll. I am assuming this is to give an equal voice to those who don't come back to nominate multiple days in a row...

- A recording would need 3 nominations to be added to the list
I don't know about this one... Only 5 recordings reached the level of 3 nominations during the current poll.

1 - 20 of 145 Posts