Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,403 Posts
Who among us know a good proportion of recordings of a much recorded work? There will be a tendency to vote for the better known and more familiar recordings. If the music is great there is a good chance this will throw up inspiring listening experiences. But it may miss a lot of very special recordings, don't you think?
That's the big problem I had with Trout's original lists too. Lesser known but just as worthy (or more worthy) recordings are totally overlooked. Basing recommendations on mentions or positive comments on Internet forums / Amazon recommendations is fatally flawed and is just gonna throw up the most well-known accounts or recordings recommended by those who shout the loudest. I'd much rather such lists be based on the poster's subjective opinion as I know at least they've listened to those recordings. How can you recommend recordings you've not heard?

·
Premium Member
7,403 Posts
I strongly urge you to make the next poll public, to help ensure against the possibility of shenanigans (sock puppet voting and the like).
I strongly second this proposal so there is total transparency in the voting system. There is a simple way to manipulate these polls (if you're a sad enough individual) and I know how to do it easily, seeing as the number of votes needed is so low.

·
Premium Member
7,403 Posts
And I seriously doubt anyone cared enough to go to the lengths you suggest....
You'd be surprised how sad, obsessive and weird some people can be. As a former forum moderator I've seen and heard it all (members pretending to have cancer to freeload or gain sympathy, catfishing, criminals, sex pests, soliciting, stalking, men pretending to be women, sociopaths, people pretending to be rock stars, etc) . We banned one guy for having 22 sock accounts. Very, very easily and quickly done.

·
Premium Member
7,403 Posts
I'm not saying it happened here, BHS, but I understand how some people might feel that if there's no transparency in the system it can be manipulated. I'm not bothered about the result as I didn't vote for any of them. I never once made it known that I didn't agree with the vote, btw. I've not commented, to my knowledge.

·
Premium Member
7,403 Posts
To be specific, Knorf's and Merl's posts on February 17-18 were literally shaming and insulting people for their choices.

I can understand discussing the merits of the recordings you like or don't like. But the over the top posts were IMO attempts to push people into their way of thinking. They showed zero openness to allowing people their opinions.

I responded to them both in that thread. Part of me wishes I hadn't let them drag me into the mud. But I don't mind confrontation.
Can you please point me to the exact moment I actually insulted either you, other posters or the recording in question? Don't bother... I'll answer for you. I DIDN'T! I have never 'bullied', 'shamed' or 'insulted anyone on TC in the many years I have been on this forum. I have never been warned about my behaviour, been sanctioned or banned for any comments I have made. If you think I like to shame or bully individuals in life then you really don't know me at all! I have many, many good friends on this forum (some who have become even better friends in real life)! Ask them whether I am a bully or better still ask the thousands of children I've taught over the years (or their parents). May I suggest that the problem is closer to home. Trolling my name does not impress me and anyone who does gets reported. If I directly insult you or any other individual on TC (which I would never do) you may happily report it to the moderators and I would accept my punishment but that isn't going to happen cos I'm not an @rsehole.

Btw, looking back through the thread I can't see any actual evidence that Knorf actually insulted you. He just opined that he thought that a certain recording was a steaming pile of crud. I think he's allowed to say that if that's how he feels. I never once passed my opinion on that recording. I just questioned the flawed process behind this thread.

·
Premium Member
7,403 Posts
Morning Injng. As this week's vote on Bach's WTC has passed by without arguing, bickering and supposed "bullying" can I be the first to propose again that all subsequent voting be made public (as they are on 90% of the polls on here). It would ensure total transparency in the voting process. Thanks. ;)

·
Premium Member
7,403 Posts
Whatever you do do not engage in any arguing with other posters. It will only lead to calls from one particular quarter for keeping polls private.

So that's 4 people who want public polling.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts