Classical Music Forum banner
81 - 100 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
As a observation from an interested onlooker - if the polls were public I can't see why there would a problem. I only take part in a few polls and the vast majority are public - I find it interesting to see who's voted for what or what their preferences are depending on the nature of the poll.
Who is disadvantaged? Only posters with something to hide I guess.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
As a observation from an interested onlooker - if the polls were public I can't see why there would a problem. I only take part in a few polls and the vast majority are public - I find it interesting to see who's voted for what or what their preferences are depending on the nature of the poll.
I agree with this. I like to see who's voting for what, so in the future, I have some idea whether or not their taste aligns with mine when they make recommendations.

·
Premium Member
7,403 Posts
Whatever you do do not engage in any arguing with other posters. It will only lead to calls from one particular quarter for keeping polls private.

So that's 4 people who want public polling.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I must say, it's disappointing to see Richter leading. It's not a very good recording, so if it is the best, what does that say about all the others? The Fischer is a classic, but in obviously limited sound. Surprising that Schiff gets so little support, and Hewitt isn't even in the running.
What surprises me is the number of votes for Feinberg. Of the five leading recordings, his is the only one not on a fairly major recording label, and is in pretty limited sound. I'm glad to see it, though - he and Nikolayeva are my favorites on modern piano.

Schiff's versions are beautifully played and the ECM recording is particularly well recorded, but his playing lacks a strong interpretive profile, so I'm not surprised that he's not getting a lot of votes. As for Hewitt, I find her Bach soporific.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Who is disadvantaged? Only posters with something to hide I guess.
I absolutely prefer open polling. I'm very open with my views.

I raised this issue of anonymity when the response to the results of the B9 poll took on an over-the-top ganglike reaction, to the point of insulting everyone who voted for the recording that won en masse and alleging a conspiracy. I can take the arrows - and I've taken quite a few of them on these threads for publicizing my views - but maybe everyone doesn't want to be a target. Then you could end up with less people voting.

·
Registered
Chopin, Beethoven, Prokofiev
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Additionally, I might shorten the polls to 3 days. It seems as if most of the new votes die down by then, and I don't want to waste too much time with no new votes or changes in the order of the top 5.

What do you think?

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Additionally, I might shorten the polls to 3 days. It seems as if most of the new votes die down by then, and I don't want to waste too much time with no new votes or changes in the order of the top 5.

What do you think?
No need to shorten the voting window - in fact, I think that it should be longer. What's the hurry?

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I was only speculating, but I imagine the faster the votes get tallied, the faster we can move on to the next poll.

I agree there should be no rush in principle. Maybe we can start new nominations for the next poll after Day 3 of voting.
Conversely, the longer the voting timeframe, the greater chance that people will have time to listen to the various recordings, allowing them to make a more informed vote.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
For the past two days, the votes for the Bach WTC has only gained 1. The order of preference, also, has not change since the second day of voting. Additionally, the order of preference for the Beethoven 9th had not changed since the third day either.

In the future, I think I will start nominations for the next piece on the 4th day of voting for the current piece.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 · (Edited)
Results for the nominations:

Brüggen: 2010 EMI/Orchetra of the 18th Century Glossa
Fasolis: 1988 ARTS/Suonatori della gioisa marca, Coro della Radio Svizzera
Gardiner: 1985 DG/Monterverdi Choir
Gardiner: 2015 Soli Deo Gloria/EBS
Herreweghe: 2012 PHI/Collegium Vocale Gent
Hickox: 1992 Chandos/Collegium Musicum 90