Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

· Banned
4,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A singer/songwriter communicates through his voice, words, and an acoustic guitar. The importance of the singer/songwriter in our culture is illustrated by the fact that even in our present age; an age of rampant spiritual numbness and consumerism—he has not become a relic of the past, but continues to thrive and serve as a medium for humanity's soul.

Who are your favorite Singer/Songwriters?

· Registered
4,977 Posts
I confess that this is a genre that has limited appeal to me :eek:

Still, I agree with starthrower that Mose Allison is fantastic and I would never have thought of him in this context. Since he has been, I will add Fats Waller. Another favourite is Leonard Cohen, who is likely more commonly thought of in the singer-songwriter genre. Another of the greats of the genre is Wolf Biermann. Johnny Cash might be another. Bob Dylan: does he qualify? Gordon Lightfoot?

· Registered
9,604 Posts
John Martyn.///////////////////////

Reactions: ptr and Wood

· Premium Member
14,056 Posts
If sticking rigidly to the singer-songwriter accompanying him/herself on acoustic guitar (or piano) format I can't say I really have any apart from liking some of the old Delta singers like Son House and Charley Patton (and even then the origins of some of their attributed material is nebulous), but if extending the question to a singer-songwriter who sometimes or often plays an instrument and is usually backed by an ensemble or band but isn't actually a group member, then there are numerous:

Laura Nyro, Donovan, Bob Dylan, Dr. John, Tom Waits, Van Morrison, Neil Young, Prince, David Bowie...no surprises, and I've no doubt generalised far too much anyway.

Reactions: brotagonist

· Registered
2,726 Posts
I also choose Leonard Cohen and Richard Hawley- Bruce Springsteen too, :eek:, largely for old times' sake. All great live acts still, even the venerable Cohen!

Still technically classifiable as 'singer songwriters' though obviously not in that 60s/70s folk influenced singer songwriter genre: Roy Orbison, Charles Trenet, Noel Coward. (Orbison's voice was so amazing that it's hard to believe he wasn't just a singer- how could one person have so much talent?!)

· Registered
9,604 Posts
John Martyn has to win this.

I think I'll bookmark this thread, since nearly all the s/s listed above that I've heard of are quite fine. Those that I don't know should therefore also be worth investigating.

Also I'd like to mention Nick Drake, Bert Jansch, Sandy Denny and Al Stewart.
The quintessential John Martyn album.

I liked Nick Drake's first album but didn't really get on with Bryter Layter or Pink Moon. Also Sandy Denny but I don't know much of her solo stuff.

Reactions: Wood

· Registered
2,000 Posts
The quintessential John Martyn album.

I liked Nick Drake's first album but didn't really get on with Bryter Layter or Pink Moon. Also Sandy Denny but I don't know much of her solo stuff.
Sandy Denny's album The North Star Grassman and the Raven is the finest, though probably her high point was singing Richard Thompson's songs on Fairport Convention's Liege and Lief. I also like her very early recordings, released as 'It's Sandy Denny', in particular the covers of her boyfriend Jackson C. Frank's compositions 'You never wanted me' and the incredible 'Milk and honey':

· Registered
9,604 Posts
Sandy Denny's album The North Star Grassman and the Raven is the finest, though probably her high point was singing Richard Thompson's songs on Fairport Convention's Liege and Lief. I also like her very early recordings, released as 'It's Sandy Denny', in particular the covers of her boyfriend Jackson C. Frank's compositions 'You never wanted me' and the incredible 'Milk and honey':

I have Liege & Lief as well as the History of Fairport Convention. I also have Listen Listen, a compilation CD of Denny's solo work (although not including Milk and Honey).

Reactions: Wood
1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.