Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to know who your favorite current string quartet is! I don't mean repertoire...I mean actual string quartet!

My favorit is the Magellan String Quartet.
First Violin: Ryan Kho
Second Violin: Jonathan Aceto
Viola: Carl Purdy
Cello: Ruth Berry
They are great :D

·
Registered
768 Posts
Hello Violinista and welcome to the forums! :)

Depends as usual on the work.

But for me such a great string quartet: The Borodin Quartet.

Currently members:
1st violin: Ruben Aharonian
2nd violin: Andrei Abramenkov
viola: Igor Naidin
cello: Valentin Berlinsky

Greetings,
Daniel

·
Registered
126 Posts
For contemporary works: Alban Berg String Quartet
For most other music: Emerson String Quartet (UNFORTUNATELY THEIR RECORDING ARE VERY PRICEY $$$!)

Kronos String Quartet's recording of Schnittke's 3rd quartet is impeccable!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
The Emerson String Quartet
The Borodin String Quartet

Two excellent quartets that have not yet been mentioned! :D

P.S. Never mind, the Emerson was mentioned by linz. Oops. But they deserve to be mentioned twice!

·
Registered
237 Posts
My favorites:
Borodin
Taneyev
Shostakovich
Melos (in the 70s.)
Tokyo (the first)
Prague
Budapest (in the 40s)
Koeckert
Primrose (on the very few recordings they made)
Vlach
Smetana
Janaceck
Krasni
Kreisler (on Kreisler's, the only one they made)
Paganini
Schneider (on complete Haydn)
Fine Arts.
Yale (on Beethoven)

G

·
Again this depends on repertoire, for me at least.
My Beethoven Qts are a collection of various Qts, with many repeats, Lindsay, Emerson, Tokyo, Melos, and a lone Op 135 from the Juiliard which I picked up for about NZ$5 and is superb and the best 135 that I have.
Brahms New Budapest
Mozart Chilingirian
Haydn for me just has to be Quatuor Mosaiques.
And of course our own NZ St Qt with a Beethoven cycle.

·
Registered
205 Posts
My favorites:
Borodin
Taneyev
Shostakovich
Melos (in the 70s.)
Tokyo (the first)
Prague
Budapest (in the 40s)
Koeckert
Primrose (on the very few recordings they made)
Vlach
Smetana
Janaceck
Krasni
Kreisler (on Kreisler's, the only one they made)
Paganini
Schneider (on complete Haydn)
Fine Arts.
Yale (on Beethoven)
What no Mosaiques or Talich???

·
Registered
6 Posts
I want to know who your favorite current string quartet is! I don't mean repertoire...I mean actual string quartet!

My favorit is the Magellan String Quartet.
First Violin: Ryan Kho
Second Violin: Jonathan Aceto
Viola: Carl Purdy
Cello: Ruth Berry
They are great :D
Hey I took a violin lesson from Ryan Kho and my teacher is a student of Ryan Kho. He coached a string quartet I was in too. Amazing person.

I personally like the Emerson String Quartet

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ševčík-Lhatsky Quartet

1st violin: Bohuslav Lhatsky
2nd violin: Karel Procházka
viola: Karel Moravec
violoncello: Bohuslav Váska (until 1911), succeeded by Ladislav Zelenka (until 1914), and by Antonio Fingerland.

·
Registered
200 Posts
What little I've heard of the Hagen Quartett I quite like (Debussy, Ravel, Beethoven, Shostakovich). I actually prefer their recordings over what the Emerson Quartet has done (especially Shostakovich's 8th 4tet). What I can't get by the Hagen, I tend to go with the Emerson-- I always keep an eye out for them.

And I like the Kronos Quartet as well, though sometimes I feel like some albums of theirs can be a bit hit-and-miss IMO.

~josh

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Am I the first one to say "Guarneri" on this board? They've just been around so long and their interpretations are just excellent. That's in my opinion, anyways. Budapest Quartet was the best quartet, no doubts, but they're all dead and the recordings are old, so if one can't go beyond the surface noise... but I can, so I like them a lot too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
As others have said, it depends on the repertoire!

For Beethoven I prefer the Alban Berg's recent live recordings that were issued on EMI. Their performance of Op. 131 in C# minor is awesome. Same goes for the great A minor quartet too. I prefer them overall to the Takacs. For Mozart's 'Prussian' quartets I love the Alban Berg's late 1970s recordings on Teldec and for the 'Haydn' quartets it's got to be between the Chilingirians and the Mosaiques on period instruments. With Schubert it has to be the Lindsays (although I prefer the Amadeus Quartet for the great string quintet in C).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nowadays, my choice is the Alban Berg, for any repertoire: the Viennese classics as well as the XXth century classics. I have had the opportunity to attend their concerts many times: and their live sound is powerful... I still recall an interpretation of the Lutoslawski quartet, it sounded like a symphony orchestra! The cello, Valentin Erben, may be in my opinion the best cello player I've ever heard to... Unfortunately some years ago, their former viola, Thomas Kakushka, died, and a young Isabel Charisius replaced for him: although she was Kakushka's disciple and plays Kakushka's own viola... well, it's not the same thing!

I also like the Takács a lot. They are splendid, their virtuosity has always left me out of breath... And the Borodin: their Shostakovich is always quite an experience, and their historic cellist, Valentin Berlinski, with his still magnificent sound, at 80 years...

The Tokyo have decayed a lot in the last years, they don't have anything to do with the splendid quartet they were once.

As for historic quartets, my favourites are the Amadeus and the Budapest.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.