Classical Music Forum banner

Who is your favorite Wotan?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Which singer is your favorite for the role of Wotan?

Yes, I know there's another Wagner poll going on now, but I had this one in mind right around the time that one started and just can't wait! Twice the fun! :)

·
Registered
1,387 Posts

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I feel like it's Schorr, Hotter, and then everyone else. Ferdinand Frantz, John Tomlinson, Donald Mcintyre probably deserve spots in the poll tho.

Some other threads I was reminded of that you might want to peruse or dig up...

https://www.talkclassical.com/31482-who-your-favorite-wotan.html?highlight=wotan

https://www.talkclassical.com/60740-who-greatest-wotan-all.html?highlight=wotan

https://www.talkclassical.com/60741-who-best-active-wotan.html?highlight=wotan
I didn't realize there were Wotan threads! I thought I checked, but apparently not.

Yeah, I try to start thinking about these lists ahead of time to get all the most famous singers in there, but somehow I always forget some. :(

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I didn't realize there were Wotan threads! I thought I checked, but apparently not.

Yeah, I try to start thinking about these lists ahead of time to get all the most famous singers in there, but somehow I always forget some. :(
The search function isn't the best, when I do "advanced search" and "thread titles only' I usually find what I'm looking for :)

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
The search function isn't the best, when I do "advanced search" and "thread titles only' I usually find what I'm looking for :)
That's what I do, and I thought I searched for Wotan threads, but maybe I actually did not.

But it's funny that the "Other" option is currently quite high. Not what I was expecting. :lol:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Schorr and James Morris
To quote from the last (2002) Wagner Overview in the American Record Guide, Morris sings the role "...more beautifully than anyone since Schorr...". I also think his artistry is underrated.

As a sample I'd suggest the end of Rheingold, the end of Walküre, or the beginning of Act III of Siegfried. For me, he encompasses the heroic requirements more completely than any other singer in the stereo era.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I know this is going to horrify some, but I think it's John Tomlinson (with Hotter a close second). Hotter can be very nasal at times in those Bayreuth Ring and I find that annoying.
N.
I feel like it's Schorr, Hotter, and then everyone else. Ferdinand Frantz, John Tomlinson, Donald Mcintyre probably deserve spots in the poll tho.
There may be technically better voices than Hotter, but no other I have heard can so fully render the complex emotion character of Wotan/Wanderer, his doubts and torments are wonderfully expressed.........

Bonetan there can be only one answer with your avatar, HH......:)

·
Registered
641 Posts
My favourite Wotan is Hans Reinmar!

Same, his performance here is magnificent! That is my absolute favorite recording of Wotan's farewell. No cloudiness or veiled tone, ringing high notes, clear diction, and sensitive use of registration. Great singing pure and simple!

Others who left great partial recordings include Hans Hermann Nissen, a famous Wotan in his day:

Joel Berglund

and Rudolf Bockelmann:

I don't think he ever sang it live, but what a Wotan we missed out on in Mark Reizen (also interesting to hear it sung in Russian):

For Wotans with complete records, probably Frantz is my favorite. I don't care for Hotter after the mid-1940s, to be honest. He was very good in the 1938 recording, but was never my favorite. By the 1950s his sound is often labored. To be honest, I do not hear hardly any of the "Shakespearean" characterization I often see him credited with (without details given). Instead, I hear a singer struggling to produce a steady sound. That leaves little room for characterization.

·
Registered
641 Posts
There may be technically better voices than Hotter, but no other I have heard can so fully render the complex emotion character of Wotan/Wanderer, his doubts and torments are wonderfully expressed.........
Can you give an example of where you hear the complexity of Wotan's emotions expressed by Hotter, how his voice expresses them. As I said, I've never had this experience of his singing and I would like to understand where others get it from.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Can you give an example of where you hear the complexity of Wotan's emotions expressed by Hotter, how his voice expresses them. As I said, I've never had this experience of his singing and I would like to understand where others get it from.
I'd try Act 2 of Die Walküre, Wotan's great monologue, from the live Bayreuth recording from 1953, conducted by Clemens Krauss.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts