Classical Music Forum banner

Who is your favorite Wotan?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
In more modern times, they use a younger singer for Das Rheingold. I suppose the tessitura is higher in Die Walküre, lower in Siegfried. the Wanderer being an older, tired man.

When San Francisco Opera did the Ring Cycle in the 1980s, James Morris sang Wotan in all three operas. Terry McEwen talked him into singing it for his first Ring Cycle. His sonorous, mahogany-colored, rolling voice was magnificent, and he dominated the scenes he was in, like a Wotan should. His Brünhildes in those days were Gwyneth Jones, Janis Martin, and a young Hildegard Behrens. His Fricka and Erda was Helga Dernesch. Those were the days.

Previously, Thomas Stewart was Wotan whenever we needed one. A medium weight baritone, he was able to encompass all three roles and sang them superbly, adding a wonderful gravitas as the Wanderer.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
The tessitura is actually highest for the Wanderer, particularly in act 3. That act is the biggest reason basses don't sing Wotan. Walkure is the lowest, mainly in the act 2 monologue. That act is the biggest reason baritones don't sing Wotan lol
Thank you! I don't pay much attention to the lower male voices, so I had no idea!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts