Classical Music Forum banner

Who is your favorite Wotan?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
My favourite Wotan is Hans Reinmar!

Same, his performance here is magnificent! That is my absolute favorite recording of Wotan's farewell. No cloudiness or veiled tone, ringing high notes, clear diction, and sensitive use of registration. Great singing pure and simple!

Others who left great partial recordings include Hans Hermann Nissen, a famous Wotan in his day:

Joel Berglund

and Rudolf Bockelmann:

I don't think he ever sang it live, but what a Wotan we missed out on in Mark Reizen (also interesting to hear it sung in Russian):

For Wotans with complete records, probably Frantz is my favorite. I don't care for Hotter after the mid-1940s, to be honest. He was very good in the 1938 recording, but was never my favorite. By the 1950s his sound is often labored. To be honest, I do not hear hardly any of the "Shakespearean" characterization I often see him credited with (without details given). Instead, I hear a singer struggling to produce a steady sound. That leaves little room for characterization.

·
Registered
653 Posts
There may be technically better voices than Hotter, but no other I have heard can so fully render the complex emotion character of Wotan/Wanderer, his doubts and torments are wonderfully expressed.........
Can you give an example of where you hear the complexity of Wotan's emotions expressed by Hotter, how his voice expresses them. As I said, I've never had this experience of his singing and I would like to understand where others get it from.

·
Registered
653 Posts
use same example as above of Wotans farewell (walkure), Reinmar is beautifully sung and technically great but lacks the passion and and torment of Hotter, you hear a "strained labored" voice for HH and I hear an artist wonderfully expressive, there is remorse, sorrow, defiance in his voice

Ahh, yes!! Hotter's Der augen leuchtendes paar is as devastated as it gets. At least I've yet to hear someone sing it more movingly than Hotter. I've quoted this elsewhere as well but Hotter wrote that Bruno Walter's advice formed the foundation of his interpretation of Wotan and he said that all the years throughout his long career he always followed Walter's advice he gave him when he was to sing Wotan's Farewell for the first time in public: "Throughout these twenty minutes, you should be constantly close to tears - not in reality but in your artistic imagination." I think you can hear this from Hotter's singing.
Interesting. I find Reinmar much more expressive. I think he has a somewhat different interpretation of the scene, but I find the way he modulates between declamatory and highly legato singing and chest dominant and head dominant tone to be very moving. For example, the "Der Augen leuchtendes paar" section is well contrasted with the opening. Reinmar makes the tone pure and heady, and diminuendos during the phrases, which are sung with superb legato. 4:52-5:05 in the Reinmar performance sounds as close to tears as any signing I've heard. The overall effect is a profound but staid sadness, for me anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts