Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 197 Posts

· Registered
218 Posts
Hmm... my favorite concertos. I won't get them in order of preference. Bach's Violin COncerto in E, Vivaldi's Violin COncerto in A minor, Lute COncerto in D, COncertos for 2 flutes, 2 trumpets, 2 mandolins, Piccolo Concerto, Bassoon Concerto in E minor. MOzart's Piano Concerto #21, Beethoven's 3rd and 5th Piano Concertos. Handel's Harp Concerto, and probably my favorite of them all is Handel's Concerti a due cori (Concertos for 2 horns)!!!

· Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm... my favorite concertos. I won't get them in order of preference. Bach's Violin COncerto in E, Vivaldi's Violin COncerto in A minor, Lute COncerto in D, COncertos for 2 flutes, 2 trumpets, 2 mandolins, Piccolo Concerto, Bassoon Concerto in E minor. MOzart's Piano Concerto #21, Beethoven's 3rd and 5th Piano Concertos. Handel's Harp Concerto, and probably my favorite of them all is Handel's Concerti a due cori (Concertos for 2 horns)!!!
The instruments Vivaldis uses are sometimes exotic, but he integrates them in his concerto style ingenious!! The Lute concert in D is really awesome. The Mozart concerto i am just working on :unsure: some passage are kinda tricky :lol:. I love this Händel harp concerto, too; there is so less harp concerto repertoire. You know the harp concerto by Carl Ditters von Dittersdorf or anotherone by Wagenseil? Also nice. This horn concertos i don't have in ear now, must have a look on it. :)

· Registered
149 Posts
Concerto

My favorite concertos... there are so many! I love Vivaldi bassoon concertos. His music brings out the bassoon's character like nothing else. The Weber clarinet concerto does the same for that instrument. But... the Elgar 'cello concerto is still my favorite, if only for sentimental reasons.

· Registered
2 Posts
Betraying my own instrument (violin), I think my favourite concerto EVER has to be Elgar's Cello Concerto... it's just so, so beautiful. I would gladly learn the cello just to be able to play that piece. My youth orchestra also did Rachmaninoff's second piano concerto last term which was fantastic. And then the violin concertos... Bruch, Tchaikovsky, Mendelssohn, Sibelius... there are so many!

· Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, an often changing topic...The Elgar concerto is definatly on of the best ever. With such a tragic melancholy, so what is your favourite recording? The one with Jaqueline Du Prés, or something else?

Daniel

· Registered
149 Posts
Concertos

I just recently listened to a cello concerto I found rather interesting; it's called "elektra rising", by an African-canadian composer named Malcom Forsyth. It has some boring parts, but it has quite a few good parts too. Worth having a listen to.
It's rather hard tracking down viola concertos. I'll be listening to Schnittke's soon, I'll write here if it's any good. I'm really sorry Clarke never wrote a viola concerto, as her viola sonata and Morpheus ( both for viola and piano ) are simply some of the most stunning works ever written for viola.
godzilla

PS; Nice to see that people are posting here a little more regularly. This is my favorite classical forum but it's very slow.

· Registered
27 Posts
Daniel said:
What is you currently fav concerto? Myself it is Brahms 1 st piano concert and Beethoven 3 rd and 4th piano concerto.
Wuorinen Third & Fourth Piano Concerti

Shostakovich First Violin Concerto

Nielsen Clarinet & Flute Concerti

1 - 20 of 197 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.