Classical Music Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
I like true contraltos but they are hard to find, just like those really low basso profoundos. I like when darker dramatic voices use coloratura too. And like Woodduck said, I like voices where you can hear the light and dark qualities, even in light lyric sopranos or leggero tenors. But any voice type can have that deeply resonating yet sparkling quality to it.

· Registered
21 Posts
I'm a light lyric coloratura soprano or koloraturasoubrette, but my favorite voice type is dramatic coloratura soprano. They have it all the stratospheric high notes, the flexibility, and the dark undertones. My favorite dramatic coloratura roles are the Queen of the Night and Konstanze. My favorite dramatic coloratura opera singer is Joan Sutherland. She was a full dramatic coloratura soprano, and every time I hear her sing, her technique and nearly flawless technique leaves me in awe. Her voice was angelic, yet huge with dark undertones. I doubt will ever be blessed to hear an opera singer quite like Dame Sutherland. My favorite recording of her singing an aria from Mozart's opera, Die Entführung aus dem Serail. It's called, Martern aller Arten:

· Registered
703 Posts
I love the Dramatic/Heldentenor voice. Particularly in Wagnerian roles; the likes of Melchior, King, Windgassen and Jon Vickers.

Also there are the Lyric and Coloratura Soprano voices; the sheer agility of some such voices is astonishing.

· Registered
4,118 Posts
I love the Dramatic/Heldentenor voice. Particularly in Wagnerian roles; the likes of Melchior, King, Windgassen and Jon Vickers.

Also there are the Lyric and Coloratura Soprano voices; the sheer agility of some such voices is astonishing.
It is a bit special with Vickers the first times I heard recordings with him was in operas in Italian and I did not like his voice at all I thought it was too hoarse I want to hear clear voices. Then I heard him as Siegmund in Die Walküre and I was blown away.

· Registered
32 Posts
I just checked her out. Outta sight, man! Could she even sing traditional contralto material? I doubt if she could sing above the tenor range.
She was incredible! There is something incredible and unique that her voice brought into the words of the sad Russian romances ...

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.