Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Feedback on a new compositional technique in a symphonic poem "Trump & Circumstances"

:tiphat:Hi everyone,

My name is Aleksey Nikolsky and I am a realistic classical composer and a scientist specializing in the perception and evolution of music.

I have just completed a symphonic poem, "Trump and Circumstance" with a programme that depicts the entire saga of the Trump presidency, highlighting the Russian collusion, the investigations of Trump's corruption, the story of his impeachment, his attempts to unleash civil unrest in America, and the horrors of COVID.

Through this work I am trying to restore the tradition where classical music was used to trigger public discourse on important societal issues - just as many composers of the past did in regard to the atrocities of WWII (Shostakovich, Britten, Messiaen, Schoenberg, Nono, Gorecki - to name a few). If we are to prevent a new escalation of authoritarian and supremacist ideologies, it is imperative that people emotionally weigh all the ramifications of Trump's policies.

I have combined the compositional skill which I acquired at the Moscow Tchaikovsky Conservatory (where I studied under Edison Denisov) with my own research-based knowledge of how listeners normally react to specific musical patterns, to make my audience live through the storyline of this music.

I'd be very interested to see if you think I've succeeded in my intentions, and if there's anything that can be improved.

I believe that music has the power to express things that matter in our lives. It is unfortunate that this aspect of music has been lost and outshadowed by the proliferation of "cool" popular music and abstract "experimental music" whose main purpose seems to be to sound complex and unlike anything written by great composers of the past.

I have created a video clip of the MIDI/sample playback of the score for this piece which I have enhanced with the help of a few mastering plugins and have added captions of the programme at the beginning of each section of music. Although far from the sound of a real symphonic orchestral, it gives a relatively faithful representation of my intention.

I'd really appreciate it if you or anyone you know would refer me to someone who knows a conductor or an administrator of a symphonic orchestra to have this music performed.

I hope you enjoy the music!

Aleksey Nikolsky
https://www.alekseynikolsky.com

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
haha, interesting idea. I listened to about 10 minutes of your symphonic poem, and it is a little too happy for the Trump presidency. Something like a Pettersson symphony would fit better imho.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
This has no place here. You need to get the facts straight: there was NO Russian collusion. Despite four plus years of Russia, Russia, Russia coming from the left, the Mueller report exonerated him. In fact it was Hillary Clinton who financed the lie by paying for the fictitious Russian dossier. Nuff said.

Reactions: Haydn70

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
This has no place here. You need to get the facts straight: there was NO Russian collusion. Despite four plus years of Russia, Russia, Russia coming from the left, the Mueller report exonerated him. In fact it was Hillary Clinton who financed the lie by paying for the fictitious Russian dossier. Nuff said.
The quoted post above also has no place here, and mbhaub knows it. Take it to the Groups!

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
you can read the full Senate Intelligence panel's report, 966 pages of evidence of collusion and Russian influence operations to help that orange cretin get elected
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/08/18/politics/fifth-senate-russia-intel-report/index.html

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
Obviously, you never read the Mueller Report. I did. You have no idea what its findings were. Come to the groups and be educated.

·
Registered
19,686 Posts
No, not "nuff" said. What needs to be said is that your "alternative facts" are wrong - there was no exoneration in the report you didn't bother to read or understand - and that you need to take your political misunderstandings to a different forum.

·
Premium Member
Liszt, Bruckner, Chopin, Wallace, Bortkiewicz.
2,776 Posts
The piece is OK, I don't like the story behind and some political comments I red. Music and politics remind me only bad things...

Reactions: millionrainbows

·
Premium Member
Liszt, Bruckner, Chopin, Wallace, Bortkiewicz.
2,776 Posts
No, not "nuff" said. What needs to be said is that your "alternative facts" are wrong - there was no exoneration in the report you didn't bother to read or understand - and that you need to take your political misunderstandings to a different forum.
+10000000 I have absolute no appetite for politics. There are special places & forums for the fans of politics. Here we are writing about MUSIC and only. This with a lot of respect for the users have misunderstood the character of this great community.

Reactions: Woodduck

·
Registered
875 Posts
Some quotes from this OP and his LinkedIn page.

Through this work I am trying to restore the tradition where classical music was used to trigger public discourse on important societal issues - just as many composers of the past did in regard to the atrocities of WWII (Shostakovich, Britten, Messiaen, Schoenberg, Nono, Gorecki - to name a few). If we are to prevent a new escalation of authoritarian and supremacist ideologies, it is imperative that people emotionally weigh all the ramifications of Trump's policies.
And what tradition is that? Society at large has never been triggered to discuss important issues by a piece of classical music because society at large has never, does not now and will never give a damn about classical music. Yeah, Luigi Nono has huge following among the common people! His opera Intolleranza impacted the lives of millions of the proletariat!

I have combined the compositional skill which I acquired at the Moscow Tchaikovsky Conservatory (where I studied under Edison Denisov) with my own research-based knowledge of how listeners normally react to specific musical patterns, to make my audience live through the storyline of this music.
Without a printed program, such as the one in the video, NOBODY would have the slightest idea what the program/story of this piece is.

From his LinkedIn page:

I believe that music has the power to express things that matter in our lives.
If there is a text set for voice/voices, yes…purely instrumental work, no way. Here's Stravinsky on the subject in 1936, from his autobiography: "For I consider that music is, by its very nature, essentially powerless to express anything at all, whether a feeling, an attitude of mind, a psychological mood, a phenomenon of nature, etc … Expression has never been an inherent property of music … It is simply an additional attribute which, by tacit and inveterate agreement, we have lent it, thrust upon it, as a label, a convention - in short, an aspect unconsciously or by force of habit, we have come to confuse with its essential being."

I see myself on a mission to make all art music meaningful and valuable for common people - just as it used to be before the 20th century.
Good luck! It never happened and never will happen. The common people have never cared about art music.

As for the music itself I listened to short portions of it. That is all I could take as the MIDI sound is horrible. The composer should consider spending $129 to purchase NotePerformer, an artificial intelligence-based playback engine for musical notation. I use it with Finale and the results sound 20 times better than MIDI.

I guess the composer feels his "new compositional technique" will transmit the program/story/meaning of the piece clearly. Not even close.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Which indicates that politics is indeed a religion for some and I guess this is along the lines of a Bach cantata or a Mozart mass.
Except without a spoken or sung text...meaning a listener without a "scorecard" would not have the slightest idea about the message.

Reactions: millionrainbows

·
Administrator
11,936 Posts
While the comments in the video clearly are political, please refrain from purely political comments in the thread. The discussion should concern the music as it relates to the comments - not the comments themselves. I have moved the thread to the Politics and Religion in Classical Music sub-forum.

·
Registered
875 Posts
OK, like a Bach chorale prelude then.
With my response to your first post I wasn't trying to be disputatious or contrary. And I like your statement about politics being a religion for some.

If anything this piece is along the lines of a work like Berlioz's Symphonie fantastique, of which each movement has a very specific "storyline" (adding up to a storyline for the entire work)...a storyline which would be impossible to realize without a printed program. Indeed, Berlioz provided such a printed program.

Without such a program the story being told by this piece...well, can't be told. If, in fact, this composer thinks his "new compositional technique" can tell a story clearly, he is sadly mistaken.

If he doesn't think that, my apologies to him.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.