Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Klemperer's with Jurinac can be listened here:

I have also "burnt" my own CD from it, as the original is not available anymore
A little self-serving, Sena Jurinac, but if this has been discussed already, I'll vote for this Jurinac versus the EMI Ludwig ( I guess), I have this testament and do like it.

I think that despite being Beethoven, it gives up its treasures unwillingly. I've seen it in the theatre 3 times, Mattila at the Met, Pieczonka in Salzburg and last spring, Nina Stemme in Paris. I have several DVDs and they all have something. The oldest with Richard Cassilly, Anja Silja and Lucia Popp\ has a very gentle and much more singspiel-ish feel to it. The Bohm with Jones I think is pretty good and when James King opens his mouth he hardly sounds starved, but that is some gorgeous singing.

It's been a long time since I've thought about Bernstein. Maybe to give it a try.

The Nina Stemme performance I heard was with the Swedish Chamber Orchestra. Semi-staged. Stemme has a big voice, I was front row and it was impressive. I heard her Elektra in Vienna, a singer who does not tire and has the technique, breath support (and comfortable shoes) to just go on.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
After I finish my big Wagner challenge with 13 Rings, I've decided to do a Fidelio challenge to serve as a 'bridge' between Wagner operas and Beethoven symphonies. This is the list I've made in Spotify:

Mono:
Furtwängler Salz 48
Furtwängler WPO 53
Karajan WStO 53
Böhm WStO 55
Fricsay BaySO 57
Jochum RAI 57
Karajan WStO 60
Karajan WStO 62

Stereo:
Klemperer PO
Knappertsbusch BaySO
Maazel WPO
Bernstein WPO
Böhm SKD
Karajan BPO
Masur LGO
Haitink SKD
Barenboim SKB
Solti CSO
Abbado Luc

One of these evenings I'll watch the Bernstein DVD that is uploaded on Youtube.

Did I leave any historical recording out?
Leopold Ludwig with Cassilly, Silja and Popp.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I'm not surprised that Klemperer drove her up the wall because by all accounts he was a particularly loathsome individual, taken to bouts of manic depression. I have both Klempers recordings both the studio and the live and frankly I can never quite see what people go on about them for despite the excellence of the casting. Klemperer is just too slow in his tempi
A little off stream but on subject, Klemperer's biography is a good read. I think I remember a propos the manic-depression of him trying to play tennis with himself. That's funny, but if it's really a reflection of the severity of his disease in an era with no treatment, how he managed as much as he did is a real testament to some grit behind the mask.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts