Classical Music Forum banner

Which tenor sang it best

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Di Stefano is wonderful but Lauri-Volpi wins here. The fact there is already one vote for Florez, in this company, is particularly disheartening.

Reactions: Parsifal98 and MAS

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Assuming that there will be no substitute changes of singers, and realizing that the last two leave a lot to be desired in the recordings, which, after the Maplesons seems not such a difficult chore, I STILL believe that the "constricted" voice (ha!) of Florez should never change that quality and, despite his normal white tone, still expresses with such feeling that I must make him my #1 choice.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I'm a big fan of Lauri-Volpi and find his singing to be inspiring. He had a giant voice, sensational high notes, and the ability to scale his voice all the way down to the tiniest piano with adept control. The guy is a unicorn. The way he transitions from loud to soft and back again and again with such ease is incredible to me. He's the kind of singer who can see pppppp on the page and sing it so that one will hear and think 'yes, he did in fact sing all 6 pianos as I heard him sing 2 earlier and this was 3 times as soft' . And I hear, and also feel, passion and vibrancy in his singing. You know what guys? I think he's actually my favorite tenor.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm a big fan of Lauri-Volpi and find his singing to be inspiring. He had a giant voice, sensational high notes, and the ability to scale his voice all the way down to the tiniest piano with adept control. The guy is a unicorn. The way he transitions from loud to soft and back again and again with such ease is incredible to me. He's the kind of singer who can see pppppp on the page and sing it so that one will hear and think 'yes, he did in fact sing all 6 pianos as I heard him sing 2 earlier and this was 3 times as soft' . And I hear, and also feel, passion and vibrancy in his singing. You know what guys? I think he's actually my favorite tenor.
I wasn't that familar with him but he really, really impressed for many reasons. His high notes were sensational and he sounds good for when he was recorded.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Lauri-Volpi’s vibrato seems to be hit-or-miss depending on the person. Personally, I love it.
LV just is better by a country mile. Dynamic control, squillo, bel canto mastery…incredible.

Pippo is my favorite tenor, depending on the day (sorry, people who like good technique). But, somehow, the beauty of his voice just doesn’t really come through here.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lauri-Volpi’s vibrato seems to be hit-or-miss depending on the person. Personally, I love it.
LV just is better by a country mile. Dynamic control, squillo, bel canto mastery…incredible.

Pippo is my favorite tenor, depending on the day (sorry, people who like good technique). But, somehow, the beauty of his voice just doesn’t really come through here.
It slowed way down as he aged so people who hate his fast vibrato might like it later on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts