Classical Music Forum banner

What kind of fingers do you have?

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

· Registered
218 Posts
Originally posted by Nox@Jul 26 2004, 04:50 PM
You're missing a category...mine are long and muscular!...but not fat at all!...
[snapback]534[/snapback]​
I second this one..that's why I didn't vote! My fingers are long and have the muscles that come from lots and lots of gardening. :) But they're not anything like sausage fingers.

· Registered
158 Posts
LOL.

it is probably the worst problem of humans that when their body is in perfect condition, they are stupid and immature, and when the finally understand and become mature and wise, there body is way past its prime.

I guess it's just how life is.

· Registered
11,850 Posts
I have glove permanently attached to my right hand - so can't tell but left hand mmmm

Think I left one finger on Mars- this has caused some issues and difficulty playing violin too.
Bedrock Terrestrial plant Font Soil Circle

I thought about some replacements - but still looking
Watch Gesture Finger Thumb Nail
Watch Body jewelry Gesture Finger Pink

· Registered
13,298 Posts
Average sized hands, or even slightly less than average for a male of 6' height.

My limbs, for my height, are above average length in proportion to the torso (leads people to have the impression I am one or more inches taller than I am.) My hands are of a similar disposition as to relative proportions.

Fingers: long, 'medium thinnish.' Middle (piano '3rd) finger from the first knuckle on the hand to the fingertip is a little over four and a half inches. The length from the tip of the thumb to the first knuckle is one and a half inches (a literally handy measuring tool, on board :)
On the standard keyboard, I have no trouble reaching a 10th, and if there is enough prep time, I can manage some elevenths.

But-- curse and blessing. sometimes when playing I have to learn how to keep some of the finger(s) more out of the way than a slightly more 'average' hand with a 'tidier bundle' of fingers.

Bach had short stubby fingers, albeit his keyboards had slightly narrower keys ;-) I believe Gilels also had fat hands, short 'sausage-like' fingers.

Roger Muraro, pianist, is a very large man whose hands are so large, fingers thick (all proportionate to look at) that he has to use a lot of axial rotation to not only drop a finger onto a white key between two black keys, but if he did not, the finger would 'jam' slightly into the space between those two keys. His hand size has not kept him from being a renowned interpreter / performer of Liszt and Messiaen.

Piano, fiddle, other stringed instruments, there is little cause for envy or worry unless the hands / fingers are exceptionally small or short. A friend / colleague of mine, now adult, was a child prodigy violinist. She now holds posts in several chamber orchestra as well as doing the occasional additional chamber music or solo gig. At full adult height, she is well under five feet, nearly doll-like, and with tiny hands: she will never be able to reach or negotiate the double stops in the Prokofiev second concerto, though otherwise the work is well within her musical and technical arsenal.

Ditto for the exceptionally small handed pianist, and a good deal of the body of literature from Beethoven and later.

The late great Alicia Delarrocha had tiny hands. An interviewer mentioned the size of her hands and asked her if she had to come up with very different fingerings in order to play much of the repertoire. Ms. Delarrocha actually giggled when she responded, and said, "Oh, yes, I must come up with all sorts of crazy fingerings because of the size of my hands."

Our 'organically attached tools' come in a vast array of sizes and shapes, yet of that myriad variety, most of them, mind put to task 'at hand' can negotiate whatever is needed.

· Registered
7,018 Posts
Can't help wondering, how long does an index finger has to be to be considered long?

My left index is 92mm but my right is 88mm, is this significant? I have held cast's of Rachmaninoff's hands in mine and his where larger!, and I've shaken Pierre Laurent Aimard right hand, ant it was smaller then mine, so that might mean that I'm average?

/ptr

· Registered
13,298 Posts
Rubber gloves (as for housework) work gloves, come in small, medium or large. More specifically tailored / sized gloves will come in a similar array as do hats and shoes. There is a middle number there which is 'the most' of humanity, ergo, 'average.'

My hands, with their slight elongation of finger, their proportion, are 'average.'

Rachmaninov's hands, as well as the rest of his body, were actually extraordinary or abnormal - possibly clinically considered mal or de-formed due to a medical condition which affects the person while growing, not average, far less than 'normal.'

If a medium sized inexpensive pair of cloth work gloves fit you at all, you're 'average.'

Reactions: ptr

· Registered
7,018 Posts
I'd bet if a medium sized inexpensive pair of cloth work gloves fit you, you're 'average.'
Never been able to fit anything "medium" on my hands, yet the rest of my body... But then, isn't Large the new medium? :D

Think there may be to few alternatives to choose from, mine then, are perhaps fairly long and nicely shaped!

/ptr

· Registered
7,018 Posts
always choose average for everything
Ok then, I rate mine as average in comparison to my nose, which is small!

Perhaps all TCers should draw silhouettes of their hands and send them a select Notarius Publicus in Denmark to get an average measure set up? This is an important issue for posterity!

/ptr

· Registered
2,220 Posts
My fingers are evenly proportioned to my hands, which are themselves evenly proportioned to my height and physique.

On the piano, I can comfortably stretch tenths, but elevenths are not even marginally possible.

My fingers are well suited to both the piano and the violin, however the knuckle of the pinky on the right hand is not perfectly functional. When I begin to bend my pinky, the joint catches and sticks; I must apply greater pressure in order to bend it, which at a certain point, it snaps out of its frozen position and quickly bends completely. I have performed numerous exercises to even out the joint a little bit and to stretch the tendons--all to no avail. But that's my only complaint. It doesn't seriously interfere with my playing, because I employ my pinky on the piano rather like I do on the violin: flatly.

· Registered
11,850 Posts
Ok then, I rate mine as average in comparison to my nose, which is small!

Perhaps all TCers should draw silhouettes of their hands and send them a select Notarius Publicus in Denmark to get an average measure set up? This is an important issue for posterity!

/ptr
For posterity only............

Gesture Thumb Font Art Sign language
Slope Gesture Font Circle Rectangle

· Registered
1,171 Posts
According to this site the average adult male hand is 189mm long. Mine are about a centimeter longer than that, but I don't consider my hands big, and I can't reach the hardest kind of tenth (e.g. B to D# or C# to F). However the easiest kind of tenth (minor and white to black or vice versa) is basically as comfortable as playing an octave. (And of course the measurement above is based on the middle finger which isn't really relevant in the playing of tenths anyway..)

21 - 40 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.