Classical Music Forum banner
341 - 360 of 362 Posts

·
Registered
15,446 Posts
I didn't know that Frank Zappa was guest at Miami Vice as a drug dealer named Mario Fuente.
He had the look for playing villains but unfortunately his acting skills were embarrassingly bad. Don Johnson was an old friend and fan of FZ's music which is why Frank ended up doing the show.

Reactions: Vronsky

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Aw heck, I'm gonna post a few favorite Zappa tunes when I am in the mood

FRANK ZAPPA - COSMIK DEBRIS

My memory says I saw this musician line-up do this live at the time. I remember seeing Duke, Ponty, Underwood, and Humphreys, and Fowler together at The Terrace Ballroom ;)

I give it 5 of 5 stars on the Chibi Meter :)

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
I hate to do this to you - I had the pleasure of seeing Bozzio playing at the Playhouse Edinburgh 14th February 1977.

Malx :p
I have seen Bozzio 3 times that I can fully recall, but I don't have any specific concert memory where Terry played with Zappa. I saw all of Zappa's shows in Utah over the years, however. I know I remember Chad Wackerman with Zappa a few times.

Terry Bozzio and Pat Mastelotto did a double percussion concert together at the One World Theater in Austin. Terry also did Punky Whips as a guest at a ZPZ concert in Houston. Most recently, I saw Terry as a soloist/composer in his concert at the Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix a few years ago. :D

·
Registered
742 Posts
I didn't know that Frank Zappa was guest at Miami Vice as a drug dealer named Mario Fuente... :D

That episode combined two of my greatest loves: Zappa and Miami Vice. If you're a Miami Vice hater, all I can say is you would understand the greatness of the show if you drove down A1A/Collins Ave. in South Beach, after midnight, listening to "In the Air Tonight" during a night of morally and possibly legally questionable behavior. Zappa managed to cram a ton of notes and chords in a few minutes. Miami Vice might have had 3 complete sentences of discernible dialogue in 1 hour. When opposing worlds collide in a Ferrari, magic occurs.

I'm also a fan of Bozzio's drumming. In addition to Zappa, there's Jeff Beck's Guitar Shop. As for Zappa's drummers (and percussion), I always liked Chester Thompson and, of course, Ruth Underwood. "On Ruth, on Ruth."

·
Registered
806 Posts
I'm not huge on Zappa. His pop music is drowned is nonsensical silly lyrics which don't do it for me. I don't find him to be all that good of a guitarist or composer.
I've always put Zappa's music in one of three categories:

1. Brilliant.
2. Comical (often clever)
3. Absolute garbage.

I don't enjoy all of his stuff, but he has composed some brilliant things in his time and I couldn't disagree more about this guitar playing. I believe he is one of the most underrated guitarist in R&R. His underrating is up their with the likes of Alex Lifeson. I challenge you to listen to Apostrophe, Stink-Foot, I am The Slime (live version), & Zomby Woof (Live version), then come back to me and say he isn't all that good of a guitarist. You may not like him or his music, that's fine, but to deny his musical ability lacks all objectivity.

V

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I've always put Zappa's music in one of three categories:

1. Brilliant.
2. Comical (often clever)
3. Absolute garbage.

I don't enjoy all of his stuff, but he has composed some brilliant things in his time and I couldn't disagree more about this guitar playing. I believe he is one of the most underrated guitarist in R&R. His underrating is up their with the likes of Alex Lifeson. I challenge you to listen to Apostrophe, Stink-Foot, I am The Slime (live version), & Zomby Woof (Live version), then come back to me and say he isn't all that good of a guitarist. You may not like him or his music, that's fine, but to deny his musical ability lacks all objectivity.

V
This is why I never purchased Zappa albums, back before you could preview them on the internet: You never really knew what sort of Zappa you were going to get when you bought a Zappa album. I just didn't see the point in spending ten bucks on an album where it's a blind taste test, like a box of Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans: Will it be something tasty, or earwax flavor?

I have only one Zappa album in my digital library; Hot Rats.

·
Registered
15,446 Posts
Not knowing what's going to be on the album was part of the fun. The internet killed all that. But it was an exciting time in the 1980s when FZ's back catalog began reappearing on CD. I wouldn't describe any of it as absolute garbage. I embraced it all from low brow rock sleaze to complex orchestral scores. There was a point to everything he did even if he pretended that he believed everything in life is an absurdity.

341 - 360 of 362 Posts