Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,612 Posts
I have a download of the complete set that I've had for a couple years. From what I can tell, the sound is the same as the original CDs, at least the CDs I have (like his Beethoven and Brahms cycle).

The Columbia Collection is on Spotify, so you can go there and see what you think. Some recordings are earlier than others, so their sound is naturally going to reflect that.

I'm glad to see it's back in circulation. When it first came out, it seems like it was only available for 60 seconds before they pulled the plug. I had a discount coupon at Barnes and Noble, and it was gone before I could use it. :(

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
There was quite a fit of fuss over this box set. Most comments I read were positive.

See the following for an intro to the box set:

https://clevelandclassical.com/sony...d-set-of-szells-complete-columbia-recordings/

https://iclassical.co.uk/bargain-box-of-delights-from-george-szell/

https://www.classicalsource.com/art...rge-szell-complete-columbia-album-collection/

I did not get this particular box. One of the few that escaped me, I guess. But I have quite a few Szell discs on hand already, including several of the highly acclaimed Szell performances which stand the test of time. Besides, I'm running low on shelf space. But I suspect this box is a good investment for a quick and satisfying assembly of great classical masterpieces.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the CD`s are remastered ? When they are not remastered then it is irrelevant. But normally Sony remastered their Boxes. Only DG does often not remaster. But i have read, the reviews of the box are very good.

The Box is only available on JPC. In other stores i haven´t seen it. So i think JPC have bought all the rest Boxes from Sony. I don´t know...

·
Registered
32,474 Posts
A friend of ours has it, I never heard him complained .
If you can spare the money I advice you to do it.

Reactions: Manxfeeder

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Congratulations. Enjoy!

I am not too much into Szell, but there are lots of enthusiasts for classical music, who are ranking Szell's recordings of Haydn, Beethoven, Schumann (in spite of some "improvements" by Szell), Brahms, Dvorak and Mahler among the very best.

Looking forward to hearing from your auditions!

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
A lot of these big boxes are priced way beyond their initial cost. Sadly, it's very unlikely that they will ever be remade. The same is true of a lot of cds. What I do wish Sony and others would do is to remaster them on Blu Ray where one disk could hold a dozen standard cds. Think of the space savings. And who needs these original jackets anyway?

Reactions: jegreenwood

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
A lot of these big boxes are priced way beyond their initial cost. Sadly, it's very unlikely that they will ever be remade. The same is true of a lot of cds. What I do wish Sony and others would do is to remaster them on Blu Ray where one disk could hold a dozen standard cds. Think of the space savings. And who needs these original jackets anyway?
Although then I would have to figure out how to rip Blu-Rays. :)

·
Registered
32,474 Posts
I have ordered it now. I think it could be the last chance to get one to a normal price. I think when they are out the price will go heavy up
Good on you, I did call my friend last night and he said , tell the member to do, if not regret it later.
Let us know later how you got on when it arrives.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think it should be arrive on Tuesday or Wednesday. It was the last one available in stock. Now it must be ordered by JPC from third party, maybe Sony directly...

·
Registered
625 Posts
When George Szell was six he gave a concert and a critic hailed him as ‘the new Mozart’. In old age Szell remarked acidly, ‘Critics make stupid mistakes!’

·
Registered
4 Posts
Please let me know when you receive the set. I ordered mine from JPC yesterday as well… First time I use them so was a little nervous… they’ve taken the money but haven’t sent me info regarding whether the item is actually in stock let alone when they expect it to be delivered…

·
Registered
32,474 Posts
Please let me know when you receive the set. I ordered mine from JPC yesterday as well… First time I use them so was a little nervous… they've taken the money but haven't sent me info regarding whether the item is actually in stock let alone when they expect it to be delivered…
Do not worry, they are as good as gold, if they cant provided anymore they refund you money within a few days .

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
My Box from JPC arrived today. What a gorgeous Box. I have seen many Boxes, but nothing like this. It is ver heavy. Around 5 kg, i think. Most of the CD´s are remastered. The original Cover are very good und the CD´s look like LP´s. Sooo nice. The book inside are ways better than from Decca, Warner or DG. This is a heavy bound book with all information you need. The titles who are double in the Box are mostly Mono and Stereo. So you can compare what is better.

No worry about JPC. They are ways better than Amazon or so. In Germany i think its the best and most serious online music store. Not the cheapest but very serious. In germany you can pay by invoice. But i don´t know how it is in other countries. When the title is not available you get your money back. No Problem....

·
Registered
32,474 Posts
My Box from JPC arrived today. What a gorgeous Box. I have seen many Boxes, but nothing like this. It is ver heavy. Around 5 kg, i think. Most of the CD´s are remastered. The original Cover are very good und the CD´s look like LP´s. Sooo nice. The book inside are ways better than from Decca, Warner or DG. This is a heavy bound book with all information you need. The titles who are double in the Box are mostly Mono and Stereo. So you can compare what is better.

No worry about JPC. They are ways better than Amazon or so. In Germany i think its the best and most serious online music store. Not the cheapest but very serious. In Germany you can pay by invoice. But i don´t know how it is in other countries. When the title is not available you get your money back. No Problem....
Not , you can pay by credit card / PayPal but not on invoice, money back is also a voucher, always.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Thats nonenens, sorry. I live in Germany. And i have paid the Box via invoice. No problem. But you need an account and maybe you must live in germany. When you live abroad than maybe you can only pay via credit card or PayPal and so on. I don´t know...

Your Box will arrive in the next days. I´am sure. There are now many boxes in stock at JPC. No problem...

1 - 20 of 61 Posts