Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Diversify the basses

Votes: 5 71.4%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I actually have a very good representation of historic basses for the contest but aside from the wonderful Sam Ramey I am clueless about basses in the last 30 years. I actually get the feeling the best basses and baritones are historic. I can stick with them but if you want to suggest some more recent ones I'll check them out. I now have about 60 bass selections for the contest and about 730 selections total. About half my selections are sopranos as I know them best and by far they have the best selection. It is much easier to get 6 or 9 selections for sopranos as opposed to lower voices. I'm going to do a poll. Shall I stick with historic basses or diversify.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Samuel Ramey, Rene Pape, Cesare Siepi, Nicolai Ghiaurov, Ruggero Raimondi, Kurt Moll
Perhaps in the last 40/50 years! :) I'm not a bass guy.
I do have some Siepe, I just didn't know what era he was. Thanks. I remember someone saying that early Ghiaurov is best but they don't always give dates. I think of modern as being post 70's. Perhaps I am wrong.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think more of 1950+.
Some that fit that bill are Christoff, Siepi, Treigle, Ghiuarov (married to Freni I think?), Pinza (at the end of his run)
I have all of them. I must be doing ok. After Bonetan and Woodduck agreeing, I am not going to bust my butt finding new basses when the best were historic.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Any basses of the last 30 years?
Well there is a dearth from 1990 to 2020. Off the top of my head I can only think of Ramey, Talvela, Furlanetto, Mastroni (new) and Schrott. Some of the best are really bass-baritones.
Well I feel proud of my search as I had ended up including most all of them and just added Furlanetto. Mastroni doesn't have much yet but he sounds great. He has no interesting competitors in the arias he does. I am now in a good position on basses. When last I reported I had 60 bass videos but just this week I have added 40 new ones. I finally found good resources for recommended Wagnerian basses and some are amazing. I lead with a big Wagner selection presently. I had a friend hear Tavela live and he said he was amazing. I have found a really hot really wonderful Russian bass who never knew of Putin who may be new to some of you. He is a very powerful actor. He was not only a very famous Boris, a real basso role, but sang baritone roles well also. While singing tons of roles, he was one of the most prestigious voice teachers in Russia, so he knew his craft. Just you wait.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts