Classical Music Forum banner
61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Super Moderator
30,506 Posts
Please do not discuss general religious matters in this forum, only religion as far as it is directly related to classical music. If there is no relationship to classical music, you can only discuss it in the groups.

·
Banned
34 Posts
Do you believe in a God that blesses some composers with massive amounts of talent, or is it all in nature/nurture?

I personally don't follow faith based thinking, but leave it open to the possibility of a god. So, my answer to my own question is, perhaps, but I'm not going to live my life believing so without scientific evidence.
Yes, Mozart was God given as were many other composers and performers to this day. They are blessed with the gift to perform quality music to praise God and to bring listening joy to those who understand it.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Throughout a population, most aptitudes (composing, writing, quantum physics, hitting a major league fastball . . .) fall on a bell curve, with the absolute best being extreme outliers. Whether these are God given, or natural abilities is a matter of belief until proven otherwise. This was Salieri's central dilemma in "Amadeus."
Actually, no. Abilities are natural until and unless a supernatural power and a supernatural causation are proved. Nature self-evidently exists, the supernatural doesn't (self-evidently exist), so nature is the only explanation in the running at the moment.

Reactions: haziz

·
Registered
460 Posts
My approach is statistically based.
Through a period of time, in a given population...
- many individuals are born with an average talent in mathematics, music, sports, you name it
- less individuals are born with a significant talent in mathematics, music, sports, you name it
- even less individuals are born with a more significant talent in mathematics, music, sports, you name it
- a few individuals are born with a extraordinary talent in mathematics, music, sports, you name it
- less than a few individuals are born with a huge talent in mathematics, music, sports, you name it

This talent needs to be identified and developed for all the the potential to emerge. This identification and development is hugely based on the society's structure.

I strongly believe that there are more than one Mozart, Einstein, Jordan, Maradona, Pavarotti, Gates etc in each generation.

Oh, I forgot...
God has nothing to do with all this!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
There is no God so the question as posed makes no sense. However, i am with posters who believe that people are born with different innate abilities inherited from their parents and their experience in life influences greatly how much of that innate talent they can utilize. Hard work and genetic predisposition are the two key ingredients.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
There is no God so the question as posed makes no sense. However, i am with posters who believe that people are born with different innate abilities inherited from their parents and their experience in life influences greatly how much of that innate talent they can utilize. Hard work and genetic predisposition are the two key ingredients.
There might be another ingredient: being raised where a tonal language is spoken. Apparently, among speakers of languages in which pitch is important to the meaning of utterances, perfect pitch is significantly more common than among speakers where it isn't.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
There might be another ingredient: being raised where a tonal language is spoken. Apparently, among speakers of languages in which pitch is important to the meaning of utterances, perfect pitch is significantly more common than among speakers where it isn't.
Oh absolutely. I had this ingredient in mind when I was talking about life experiences but forgot to include it in the last sentence.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
My approach is statistically based.
Through a period of time, in a given population...
- many individuals are born with an average talent in mathematics, music, sports, you name it
- less individuals are born with a significant talent in mathematics, music, sports, you name it
- even less individuals are born with a more significant talent in mathematics, music, sports, you name it
- a few individuals are born with a extraordinary talent in mathematics, music, sports, you name it
- less than a few individuals are born with a huge talent in mathematics, music, sports, you name it

This talent needs to be identified and developed for all the the potential to emerge. This identification and development is hugely based on the society's structure.

I strongly believe that there are more than one Mozart, Einstein, Jordan, Maradona, Pavarotti, Gates etc in each generation.

Oh, I forgot...
God has nothing to do with all this!
Pet peeve #6: mixing up the correct usage of "fewer" and "less". Other than that, I agree with your post.

:D

61 - 80 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.