Classical Music Forum banner

Which are your picks for the best Jazz Fusion bands/artists of all f*¢k!ng time?

• Mahavishnu Orchestra

• Frank Zappa (Mothers of Invention)

• Return to Forever

• Weather Report

• Tony Williams Lifetime

• Tribal Tech

• Soft Machine

• Colosseum

• Shakti

• Nucleus

• Larry Coryell (Eleventh House)

• Steely Dan

• Bruford

• Oregon

• Jean-Luc Ponty

• Joe Zawinul

• Dixie Dregs

• Jeff Beck

• The Wrong Object

• Brian Auger (Oblivion Express)

• Allan Holdsworth

• James Blood Ulmer

• Billy Cobham

• Sonny Sharrock

• Miles Davis

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
Bernd Alois Zimmermann
592 Posts
I'm not "American" (although I do have dual-citizenship) - I was born in Dublin - The family emigrated to Chicago the year that I turned 14.

And I said that I would add Brand X - I didn't say that I would necessarily vote for them, gobshite...
Being from the Pale is hardly Irish.

I wouldn’t consider U2 to be Irish.

They’re mere West Brits to my arrogant Corkonian eyes…

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
My votes went to

Mahavishnu Orchestra
Return to Forever
Weather Report
Shakti
Miles Davis

Major miss from the list is Herbie Hancock's sextet and Rocket bands. Miles invented Jazz Fusion with his '70s bands. He fused Jazz with Funk, and World musics.
Yeah, major miss indeed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Miles started and sustained fusion jazz longer than anyone. Also, where’s Brand X, the phenomenal fusion band of Phil Collins? And where are John Zorn’s various fusion bands such as Naked City? There have got to be dozens of other great fusion bands out there now that no one is thinking of… and fa christ sakes - why isn’t Herbie Hancock in the original list????

·
Registered
35 Posts
This list and its accompanying poll encompass what I believe to be the best artists/bands in the Jazz Fusion genre. And yes, this is yet another shameless and petty attempt to rank artists ... and a celebration of the best in the genre!
It depends on your taste and your definition of fusion. I have to admit that I find a lot of those you've listed to be tedious: soulless and technical. Light as a Feather (Chick Corea & Return to Forever feat Flora Purim) is a favourite of mine though. I'll have a think about some others.

·
Registered
15,446 Posts
I'm English and quite like Brand X. Earth Dance used to get played on the jazz clubbing scene in the 80s and 90s.
Written by the late Morris Pert. To my ears Masques contains some of their strongest material.

Reactions: Chibi Ubu

·
Banned
Bernd Alois Zimmermann
592 Posts
One of my favourite Jazz supergroups that no one seems to ever mention was Circle. Braxton, Correa, Holland & Altschul. Live in Paris is phenomenal… Chick left cause’ it was too weird and he wanted to pick up 900 Grammys for garbage
Yellow Font Publication Material property Rectangle

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
One of my favourite Jazz supergroups that no one seems to ever mention was Circle. Braxton, Correa, Holland & Altschul. Live in Paris is phenomenal… Chick left cause’ it was too weird and he wanted to pick up 900 Grammys for garbage View attachment 168463
This is free jazz, not fusion. The genre is hit or miss for me but this album is a jewel.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts