Classical Music Forum banner

Greatest rock drummer

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Jaki Liebezeit (Can) would be my choice ... can't believe he isn't on here, unless you just haven't heard him :confused:

Ringo Starr :lol:

(Fyi, Bill Bruford is listed twice)

Of those on the poll, I'd go with Charlie Watts or Bill Bruford (but just once, not twice :tiphat:)

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Keith Moon or Neil Peart (or Bonham) are all excellent selections, and one of them will surely win (unless there's enough biased Beatles fans to select Starr)

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I voted for Ginger Baker. Of course I also wanted to vote for Terry Bozio and Bill Bruford (you put him in twice!), but you were smart enough to prevent me voting for three best drummers :mad:
Baker was great, probably my second. Mitchell up there too.

But for me, Moon was just at a different level from all the rest

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jaki Liebezeit (Can) would be my choice ... can't believe he isn't on here, unless you just haven't heard him :confused:

Ringo Starr :lol:

(Fyi, Bill Bruford is listed twice)

Of those on the poll, I'd go with Charlie Watts or Bill Bruford (but just once, not twice :tiphat:)
He didn't quite make the cut, and not only on my list.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
He didn't quite make the cut, and not only on my list.
Well, it's your poll, and many of the choices are good/excellent, and as expected. Ringo Starr is the only one I outright disagree with because he was so mundane, not an extraordinary drummer at all. If you're not really looking for drummers who elevated the talent to an entirely new art, creating whole sound worlds/environments with the instrument that had never been attempted before, then I can see why you wouldn't include Liebezeit.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Jaki Liebezeit:

(Note: believe it or not the drumming on these songs are not mechanically/electronically enhanced)

G

·
(unless there's enough biased Beatles fans to select Starr)
Don't start. Why single out Beatles fans with accusations of bias? By the same token, Bruford will win because of 'biased' King Crimson fans, Carl Palmer will win 'because' of ELP fans...

IMO, there's no such thing as 'the greatest drummer', since most of them played with a band and what they could do was limited by what the band played. Seeing such a question prompts me to visit the Drummerworld website and sample the clips on offer...

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummerchoice.html

Drummers I have enjoyed listening to in their role as driver of rhythm in their bands have included Moon, Bruford, Chambers, Bozzio, Collins, Moerlen, Clarke. Drummers who are more restrained and 'illustrative' include Katché, Starr, Selway, Wyatt. Drummers who do more solo work include Wackerman.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Don't start. Why single out Beatles fans with accusations of bias? By the same token, Bruford will win because of 'biased' King Crimson fans, Carl Palmer will win 'because' of ELP fans
Why not? Is it possible to be a more average drummer than Ringo Starr? His inclusion among the likes of Keith Moon, Neil Peart, Charlie Watts, John Bonham, etc, and to not include so many others in his place, is delusional, and disrespectful to the great drummers of rock history (good thing this isn't a Jazz list too!). Over 20+ years, Ive never encountered a fanbase of any artist (any art form) that was, on average, more misinformed or exaggerative of their band's talents/accomplishments (granted, I make it a point never to discuss music with, say, Justin Beiber fans!) ... Obviously not applicable to all Beatles fans. After all, I am a fan of some of their albums, and miscellaneous other songs, even some outside of their more creative period.

G

·
Ive never encountered a fanbase of any artist (any art form) that was, on average, more misinformed or exaggerative of their band's talents/accomplishments
Given we're talking about the word 'fan', if your statement makes any sense at all, it's hardly surprising, and in my experience, applies to many of those I've met who were fans of Zeppelin and Tull as much as any other rock band.

Starr was the best drummer for The Beatles. I'll not make any greater claim for him than that. And once Moon 'left' The Who, The Who was not the same band. Are The Rolling Stones without Wyman and Jones, the same band that excelled in the early to mid-60s? In other words, the fit of each member - perhaps especially the drummer - is important. That's why I think the question may be fun (as each biased fan makes his/her claims) but not really a valid search.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Starr was the best drummer for The Beatles.
Nonsense. He could hardly have been more unimaginative. Come to think of it, in all of Rock history from 1963-present, it is difficult to think of a more mediocre drummer of a good (or greater) band than Ringo Starr. Any other drummer from this list could've filled in and done exactly what he did plus added much more creative touches or, even (gasp!) some extra doses of emotional conviction (!!!), to their music.

Re: Led Zepp/Bonham ... I agree that Bonham's place can be exaggerated a bit too, but at least it has some basis in reality. ... I don't think I've ever met any frothing at the mouth Tull fans.

Reactions: EdwardBast
G

·
I don't think I've ever met any frothing at the mouth Tull fans.
I can't help your limited experience! ;)

Any other drummer from this list could've filled in
At least as nonsensical as you claim my opinion to be. He was the drummer they had and there's an end to it. If you like whay the produced, you'll be happy with them. I'm not about to start claiming that Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds could have been so much better if only Gene Krupa or Buddy Rich were behind the kit. :lol:

·
Premium Member
11,275 Posts
1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.