Classical Music Forum banner

Greatest rock drummer

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
We all know that there is no 'best' drummer in any genre. There are just drummers with different personalities who stand out as part of bands or music we like.

If I was really going to try and be objective, there's always been one drummer who would be on anyone's go to list for a session or a gig. The guy who just sits on the groove in any style. Steve Gadd. Rock, country, funk or fusion. And of course that opening to '50 Ways To Leave Your Lover'.

G

·
There are just drummers with different personalities who stand out as part of bands or music we like.
John Bonham seems to me one of the best examples of this. I mean, I can't stand Led Zeppelin, and Bonham didn't play with anyone else (well he did a little, but not to anything like the same extent as others on the list), so he can only be on this list because Zep fans love Zep.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
John Bonham seems to me one of the best examples of this. I mean, I can't stand Led Zeppelin, and Bonham didn't play with anyone else (well he did a little, but not to anything like the same extent as others on the list), so he can only be on this list because Zep fans love Zep.
Well, I think you may be doing him a small disservice.
He was a huge part of their overall sound that's for sure. Not just his playing style which was great for them but also the drum sound on some of the recordings which still stand as a reference for engineers and producers.

G

·
Some of Earl Palmer's fine drumming:

Even shows Earl's picture.

Also listen to pretty much anything Fats Domino or Little Richard did in the 50s, that's all Earl.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Why are people dissing Ringo when he wasn't a Rock drummer but a Pop one?
Because it's a poll of the "greatest" drummers, which implies that one is among the most extraordinary and outstanding in Rock history. It's not (or shouldn't be) a poll of those that fared okay in the songs they played, were un-extraordinary, and that we have to make concessions for just because of the limited format of the genre they performed in. One wouldn't include the pianist for the band Hansen (Youtube:
) among the likes of Richter, Argerich, Arrau, Pollini, Kempff and Gilels for the title of "greatest pianist" with the concession that "he fared just fine in the pop songs he was performing".

G

·
Hardly a valid analogy. We can all see the gulf between classical piano and pop piano. The more valid would be to compare the pianist from Hansen with Tony Banks or Rick Wakeman and point out that playing in the style of Wakeman when what is wanted is the style of Hansen would be ludicrous.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
We can all see the gulf between classical piano and pop piano.
Yes, that's why it's a valid analogy, though your attempt to make what I said seem overly literal doesn't disguise the obvious. We can all see the massive gulf between Ringo's drumming and anyone on this list ... or really, any above average-to-great drummer that comes to mind. Honestly: name a good-or-better band that incorporates drums and the chances are you will find a superior drummer, pop music or otherwise.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
For me, my favourite Rock Drummers would be either Ian Paice of Deep Purple or Bill Ward of Black Sabbath. There so many great drummers but these are the first two to come to mind.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Because it's a poll of the "greatest" drummers, which implies that one is among the most extraordinary and outstanding in Rock history. It's not (or shouldn't be) a poll of those that fared okay in the songs they played, were un-extraordinary, and that we have to make concessions for just because of the limited format of the genre they performed in. One wouldn't include the pianist for the band Hansen (Youtube:
) among the likes of Richter, Argerich, Arrau, Pollini, Kempff and Gilels for the title of "greatest pianist" with the concession that "he fared just fine in the pop songs he was performing".
The OP says rock drummer. As I said earlier, if you want to include funk and fusion then Coleman, Carlock, Weckl, Hakim, Gadd, Erskine are better drummers than any on that list by a long way.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
The OP says rock drummer. As I said earlier, if you want to include funk and fusion then Coleman, Carlock, Weckl, Hakim, Gadd, Erskine are better drummers than any on that list by a long way.
Though I don't particularly disagree with your point about those other drummers (to an extent), my post did say:

"...which implies that one is among the most extraordinary and outstanding in Rock history."

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I don't understand what you mean here.
Just that I wasn't trying to be perfectly literal in how "exact" the correlation, genre-to-genre was. Just the general idea, an expression of the gap between them. My example was somewhat "exaggerated for effect", but not by that much. Though very far from a masterpiece and not something I personally listen to, I actually think that Hanson song is just as good as many Beatles songs. Its no less successfully melodic and exuberant, and a similar degree of emotional conviction as most of their pre-1966 peak-Beatlemania repertoire.

G

·
Just that I wasn't trying to be perfectly literal in how "exact" the correlation, genre-to-genre was. Just the general idea, an expression of the gap between them. My example was somewhat "exaggerated for effect", but not by that much. Though very far from a masterpiece and not something I personally listen to, I actually think that Hanson song is just as good as many Beatles songs. Its no less successfully melodic and exuberant, and a similar degree of emotional conviction as most of their pre-1966 peak-Beatlemania repertoire.
So your comparisons within, without and across genres are not to be taken too literally, despite your insistence that the OP is talking about rock drummers. I can't follow your argument any longer.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
So your comparisons within, without and across genres are not to be taken too literally, despite your insistence that the OP is talking about rock drummers. I can't follow your argument any longer.
Oh well... I wasn't under the impression you were trying to.

Reactions: hpowders
41 - 60 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.