Classical Music Forum banner

Greatest rock drummer

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
"Surprised to see no mention of Lars Ulrich, tbh."

maybe because there are more jokes about Ulrich as a terrible musician than for any other drummer. Not my opinion, but I've never seen a lot of admiration for his skills, to put it very mildly.

·
Registered
79 Posts
"Surprised to see no mention of Lars Ulrich, tbh."

maybe because there are more jokes about Ulrich as a terrible musician than for any other drummer. Not my opinion, but I've never seen a lot of admiration for his skills, to put it very mildly.
His stand against file sharing garnered a lot of enemies, so I think he went out of fashion, much like Phil Collins has done...;)

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I voted for Bill Bruford, for the imagination of his improvisation, his sense of drama, and what I can only describe as a melodic approach in his playing. He was patient and always seemed to be thinking in big spans, spinning out long phrases, building gradually and then — adding that perfect genius stroke at exactly the right moment. His playing on the improv, Starless and Bible Black (King Crimson, Concertgebouw, Nov. 1973) is a prime example. Or the version of Doctor Diamond in Pittsburgh, April 1974. Or his various introductions to Indiscipline in the 80s and 90s. Not to mention superb technique and his other percussion playing.

·
Registered
15,527 Posts
If I had to pick one guy for world's greatest drummer at the present time, it's Marco Minnemann. And this trio as a whole is phenomenal.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Wow!

Watch from about the 3 minute mark!! And from about 4'18"!

and Good Lord!!!!

Strange Magic beat me to it and I'm surprised no one else brought up Stewart Copeland. He's probably going to be the one to fill in for Peart in Rush. I'm glad I got to see Peart on his last and (probably) final tour: 40th Anniversary RUSH tour. But I have to say, I was a bit dissapointed in that show. You can tell he was "done." His heart was not into it. It seemed like it was a "job" for him to be playing.

I think Copeland will do a stellar job.

V

·
Registered
205 Posts
Danny Seraphine (Chicago, classic years. an original member)
Phil Ehart (Kansas)
Neil Peart (Rush)
Carl Palmer (Atomic Rooster, ELP, Asia)
Bill Bruford (Yes , King Crimson, UK, Solo. It's all good)
Phil Collins (Genesis, Brand X)
Guy Evans ( Van der Graaf Generator, VERY underrated)
Vinnie Calaiuta (Frank Zappa, lots more)
John Bonham (Led Zeppelin, need I say more?)
Mike Portnoy (Dream Theatre, countless others...wow)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Thrash metal drummer - Dave Lombardo of Slayer. Slayer can never get back what they lost in Lombardo. He has a spontaneous kind of style that is VERY RARE among drummers who play this kind of music. THE greatest thrash drummer ever.

·
Premium Member
11,406 Posts
Danny Seraphine (Chicago, classic years. an original member)
Phil Ehart (Kansas)
Neil Peart (Rush)
Carl Palmer (Atomic Rooster, ELP, Asia)
Bill Bruford (Yes , King Crimson, UK, Solo. It's all good)
Phil Collins (Genesis, Brand X)
Guy Evans ( Van der Graaf Generator, VERY underrated)
Vinnie Calaiuta (Frank Zappa, lots more)
John Bonham (Led Zeppelin, need I say more?)
Mike Portnoy (Dream Theatre, countless others...wow)
Now that is a good call. :)

Reactions: Casebearer
61 - 80 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.