Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
30,574 Posts
Not a genre (?) I'm particularly interested in tbh. There's not a single album of Southern Rock that I deem essential or even desirable (in terms of my taste), but I do have two Allman Brothers Band songs on the car USB stick (and none by other SR bands), so by default they would get my vote.

·
Registered
15,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Me too. Easy pick. Allmans very good, Tom Petty even better, though in a previous thread some opined that Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers were not "southern enough". I assert Petty transcended the genre.
I like all three a lot.

·
Registered
15,446 Posts
Little Feat was a California band. They were formed by ex Zappa Mothers members. CCR was from San Francisco. I'm not a fan of southern rock bands flying Confederate flags so I'll go with the Allman Brothers.

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
Little Feat was a California band. They were formed by ex Zappa Mothers members. CCR was from San Francisco. I'm not a fan of southern rock bands flying Confederate flags so I'll go with the Allman Brothers.
Can't argue with facts - but to my untrained British/Scottish ears their music had what I considered a distinctive southern sound - a Muscle Shoals kinda sound if you catch my drift. I am prepared to be educated if I am wide of the mark.

What I do know is they were a very fine live band having seen them twice when they visited the UK.

·
Registered
15,446 Posts
Are you referring to Little Feat or CCR? Little Feat was a great live band. In fact I rarely ever listen to their studio albums. I always spin the Waiting For Columbus live set. But I still don't think of them as Southern Rock. They aren't from the south and they don't have southern accents. Bands from the south would be Marshall Tucker, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Allman Brothers, and The Outlaws.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Probably not "the best" (especially where the rock press were concerned), but my favourites are definitely Black Oak Arkansas. And they had a "three guitar army" before Lynyrd Skynyrd.

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
Are you referring to Little Feat or CCR? Little Feat was a great live band. In fact I rarely ever listen to their studio albums. I always spin the Waiting For Columbus live set. But I still don't think of them as Southern Rock. They aren't from the south and they don't have southern accents. Bands from the south would be Marshall Tucker, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Allman Brothers, and The Outlaws.
Sorry I was referring to Little Feat.

To take things a little sideways - are the Ozark Mountain Daredevils regarded as Southern, I often get confused where the line for Southern States is drawn in the USA - is it largely based on what were previously the Confederate States?

·
Registered
15,446 Posts
I always liked the Outlaws. They were great guitar players and they have more of a country influence to their music. When they played here in Syracuse along time ago, Hughie Thomasson used my buddy's Mesa Boogie amp.

Reactions: pianozach

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
I always liked the Outlaws. They were great guitar players and they have more of a country influence to their music. When they played here in Syracuse along time ago, Hughie Thomasson used my buddy's Mesa Boogie amp.
I saw the Outlaws on the same bill as Little Feat June 1976 at Celtic Park Glasgow.
The line up on the day was:

The Who
Sensational Alex Harvey Band
Little Feat
Outlaws
Streetwalkers

Sorry for diverting the thread I will now desist.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
It has got to be a sine qua non that Southern Rock bands be mostly from the American South and/or those states from whom the majority of Country & Western artists are drawn. For our non-USA members, this should rule out many bands--from California or other non-southern states.

·
Registered
15,446 Posts
Sounds like a great festival, Malx! When I was finally old enough to see The Who it was on that tour in '79 when they had that tragic event in Cincinnati. I never did see them. I did see the Allman Brothers in 1991. That was a great show. Their sound was huge. People went nuts when Dickie Betts launched into his solo on Jessica. He got kicked out of the band a few years later due to his alcohol abuse.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I would have crawled a mile over broken glass to see a line-up like that. I wonder how Little Feat and the Outlaws enjoyed the North British weather - you don't see too much Spanish Moss hanging from the trees of Parkhead. The only Southern Rock bands I ever saw were Blackfoot (Donnington Park 1981) and - if they can come under the Southern Rock category - Black Crowes in 1999 (Wembley Stadium). Both great, but the Crowes were without keyboard player Ed Harsch that day.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts