Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Here's a 43 year old member from the Netherlands (so, not a native speaker, Google Translate is my best friend).

It was quiet in my parental home. My father doesn't like music. My mother gave me cassette tapes with the best of Bach and best of Mozart. Beautiful, but nothing more. But In my puberty I discovered classical music (thanks to the radio on my Sony Walkman). I remember being touched by a Beethoven cello sonata. I said that to my mom, then I got the old vinyl classical recordings from my mother/aunt from the attic en the Dual turntable with speakers. The first record I put on was Beethoven's third piano concerto (I knew that man from the radio) with Fischer/Fricsay. The first time I heard classical music at a good audio level. I didn't know what happened to me. It was overwhelming that such a beautiful thing existed. The start of a wonderful journey!

I started out by borrowing CDs from the local library (Italian bass Paolo Montarsolo became my first opera hero - that explains my nickname). In my college days (late 90s) I bought tons of CDs. Coincidentally, yesterday I came across an old photo of just my opera collection... One hobby is collecting classical music on vinyl at thrift stores.

·
Super Moderator
I DON'T BELIEVE IT!
32,562 Posts
Welcome to Talk Classical Montarsolo. Don't get the wrong idea from the first two reactions - we are not all Dutch here. If you have any questions about how things work on this site, feel free to start a (private) conversation with one of the moderators.

Anyway, enjoy the site. It's mostly harmless. :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome on Talk Classical, have a great time , any special composers you like?
My first love was Beethoven. Followed closely by Schubert and Mendelssohn. Mozart was always there. For operas, they are Bellini, Donizetti, Rossini and Verdi. After a few years I discovered Shostakovich. Now with aging I come to appreciate Mozart more and more. What a genius.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Nice collection Montarsolo! We're about the same age but you developed a taste for the good stuff at a much younger age than myself. I was listening to a lot of poprock at the time you were building that opera collection. Anyway, I'm new here as well. Just wanted to say hello and mention I visited your fine country in 2001. Had a great time. Do they still pipe in soft techno music in the public parks like they did back then these days?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts