Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it would improve the culture of Talk Classical if along with the existing restrictions for new members that they were also prohibited from starting new threads until they have made some number of posts, e.g. 100, in existing threads.

This would not be punitive but a way to encourage them to learn how to search and navigate the forum to find those threads they wish to join a discussion. It would also serve to familiar themselves with the other members and their views on a subject in which they are interested.

After they've made 100 posts they will have earned the privilege of starting a new thread. And I do consider it a privilege, one that IMO, has been abused recently.

·
Registered
6,236 Posts
I can't see this being a major or general problem. Such measures would be counter-productive, and 100 is a lot of posts. There's also the aspect of new members with very relevant and very specific questions regarding the identifying of music, music history, or presenting diverse material from around the world.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hm…

I wonder if this is meant for new Members like me?

If that’s the case, sorry, but I was only trying to “learn how to search and navigate the forum”.

At any rate, I’ll abide by the Forum rules and comply with SanAntone’s wishes.

I shan’t ask for any more pointers.

Best wishes,

Mario

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hm…

If that's the case, sorry, but I was only trying to "learn how to search and navigate the forum".

At any rate, I'll abide by the Forum rules and comply with SanAntone's wishes.

I shan't ask for any more pointers.

Best wishes,

Mario
No, it wasn't aimed at you. In fact, asking for pointers on navigating the forum is the best way to proceed.

But there is thread with Tips and Techniques, which I think Art Rock linked for you.

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't see this being a major or general problem. Such measures would be counter-productive, and 100 is a lot of posts. There's also the aspect of new members with very relevant and very specific questions regarding the identifying of music, music history, or presenting diverse material from around the world.
Maybe 100 posts is too high a threshold, maybe 25 would be enough.

But I find the forum environment degraded when a new member doesn't do anything but start thread after thread with a superficial tone and subject that doesn't produce much of a productive discussion.

·
Premium Member
7,479 Posts
Hm…

If that's the case, sorry, but I was only trying to "learn how to search and navigate the forum".

Best wishes,

Mario
Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: Tarneem

·
Registered
6,236 Posts
Maybe 100 posts is too high a threshold, maybe 25 would be enough.

But I find the forum environment degraded when a new member doesn't do anything but start thread after thread with a superficial tone and subject that doesn't produce much of a productive discussion.
At the time of writing, I think we're talking 13 threads in 6 days, but with very specific content. However this is unusual.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
I think it would improve the culture of Talk Classical if along with the existing restrictions for new members that they were also prohibited from starting new threads until they have made some number of posts, e.g. 100, in existing threads.

This would not be punitive but a way to encourage them to learn how to search and navigate the forum to find those threads they wish to join a discussion. It would also serve to familiar themselves with the other members and their views on a subject in which they are interested.

After they've made 100 posts they will have earned the privilege of starting a new thread. And I do consider it a privilege, one that IMO, has been abused recently.
That would stop people from coming to the forum to post requests on the identifying music area or other specific requests for information ... not a good idea at all.

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
Hm…

Best wishes,

Mario
Mario

Just ignore nonsense like this.

Best wishes

Henry

·
Registered
15,727 Posts
The moderators could simply merge redundant new threads with existing ones. I know they do this but sometimes it needs to be done more frequently. For example, recently there's been an active thread titled "Help Me With Mahler" quite visible on the home page and yet a member started another thread asking for help with Mahler. Also, new members should use the new posts icon in the upper left corner or the advanced search option before starting redundant threads.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.