Classical Music Forum banner

What is your favourite of Handel's Oratorios (excluding "Messiah")?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15,760 Posts
I voted other for this wonderful work and in particular this recording, which I think is the only existing recording of this oratorio:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000069CUU/

This Old Testament oratorio is about Nabal (whose name means fool), a wealthy mean-spirited fellow who spurns David during David's exile from the court of Saul. David plans to have revenge upon Nabal, but Nabal's wife, Abigail, pledges loyalty to the future king, so David relents. When Nabal hears about it he drops dead, leaving Abigail free to become one of David's wives, which she is more than happy to be.

·
Registered
15,760 Posts
Beyond Messiah, I am not very fond of oratorio since opera is so much better to me. Some oratorios were made because the Pope would not allow opera (see quote below), and so composers got around it with oratorios. I'd rather have them as operas.

According to this article,
... the first decade of the 18th century, when Pope Clement XI, alarmed by growing political conflicts that threatened the authority of the church, banned operatic performances in Rome, deeming musical theater dangerously arousing and incendiary. Handel, Alessandro Scarlatti and Antonio Caldara, among others, simply turned to the oratorio...

Reactions: ArtMusic

·
Registered
15,760 Posts
At one time in my life I tried to collect all of Handel's oratorios and was fairly successful, although they are in record format.
I am not repeating my desire to collect all of them on CD.
I pretty much stick with Messiah. For other biblical oratorios I go with Mendelssohn's Elijah and Haydn's Creation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts