Classical Music Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted just now about Henry Irving, who in the nineteenth century presented one of the first sympathetic interpretations of the character of Shylock, the Jewish moneylender in The Merchant of Venice.

Imagine my surprise when I found his name blotted out with asterisks. It's not offensive to discuss a Shakespearean character, but it is offensive and racist to suggest that his name cannot be mentioned.

An anti-Semitic post would not need to post any banned words and can still be dealt with by moderators.

Like many on this site I love Shakespeare and literature and am being treated like a child.

·
Premium Member
Chicago (ex-Dublin)
2,194 Posts
I tried to write about Aaron Copland's Rodeo and made a reference to the section entitled "Hoe-down" - Imagine my surprise to see the word replaced with asterisks.

The word that I used is spelled H-O-E - which is "a long-handled gardening tool with a thin metal blade, used mainly for weeding and breaking up soil." and the word is being used in reference to the composition "H-o-e-down".

I'm fairly certain that garden implements are rarely, if ever, the source of so much contention that their use needs to be censored... Unless, in the midst of a furiously heated argument, you make a rather rude suggestion as to where to insert said garden implement, in which case, it's perfectly understandable.

I can only guess that the objection to the word h-o-e is actually misplaced - It's probably the word "ho" which is a euphemism for the word "*****" - w-h-o-r-e - that's meant to be censored. The site owners probably don't want us to discuss our "bitches and ho's" - although to my knowledge, I'm the only one who uses that phrase on a fairly regular basis and I only use it when discussing business.

And so...

You can't use the word h-o-e...

You can't use the word w-h-o-r-e even if you wanted to have an intelligent discussion about the Biblical "W-h-o-r-e of Babylon" - who I once dated briefly in college... The other one, not the Biblical one.

But you can refer to "bitches and ho's"...

This makes even less sense than most of the posts which I write... especially the ones about music... and that's really saying something.

·
Premium Member
6,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried to write about Aaron Copland's Rodeo and made a reference to the section entitled "***-down" - Imagine my surprise to see the word replaced with asterisks.

The word that I used is spelled H-O-E - which is "a long-handled gardening tool with a thin metal blade, used mainly for weeding and breaking up soil." and the word is being used in reference to the composition "H-o-e-down".

I'm fairly certain that garden implements are rarely, if ever, the source of so much contention that their use needs to be censored... Unless, in the midst of a furiously heated argument, you make a rather rude suggestion as to where to insert said garden implement, in which case, it's perfectly understandable.

I can only guess that the objection to the word h-o-e is actually misplaced - It's probably the word "ho" which is a euphemism for the word "*" - w-h-o-r-e - that's meant to be censored. The site owners probably don't want us to discuss our "bitches and ho's" - although to my knowledge, I'm the only one who uses that phrase on a fairly regular basis and I only use it when discussing business.

And so...

You can't use the word h-o-e...

You can't use the word w-h-o-r-e even if you wanted to have an intelligent Biblical discussion about the "W-h-o-r-e of Babylon" - who I once dated briefly in college...

But you can refer to "bitches and ho's"...

This makes even less sense than most of the posts which I write... especially the ones about music... and that's really saying something.
Classic! :D

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Is there a list somewhere of forbidden names and words for this site. I would have expected to know and to be already avoiding them but if the likes of Shakespearian characters are being censored I think I need an update.

·
Premium Member
Chicago (ex-Dublin)
2,194 Posts
Agreed. I encountered a similar example with the Afro-American composer Dawson, who named his symphony (recorded by Chandos) "* Folk Symphony " (and the censored word is not the notorious N word, but the one use in Spanish for black), given by the composer himself and now deemed too sensitive.
You're right - I tried to write the words "N-e-g-r-o Spirituals" and it came out as "Negro Spirituals". This is a form of Christian music and -

that's what it's actually called - Here's their website -

The two words most in need of censoring are "subjectivity" and "objectivity" - at least until people realize that they are not synonyms.

Anytime anyone tried to use either word, this is what they should see - **** and ***

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
The auto editing of words deemed unacceptable is far too clumsy and indiscriminate.

I discovered this when I was trying to nominate a work of the Latin American composer Leo Brouwer, El Decamerón N-e-g-r-o. Having to add the hyphens is silly. And how much hurt can the word n-e-g-r-o inflict? If someone made a racist post, it could easily be dealt with, but then again, they wouldn't use n-e-g-r-o but the real offensive epithet.

But to censor S-H-Y-L-O-C-K? And H-O-E?

If the software's nanny could be modified, it would improve the site immeasurably.

·
Premium Member
11,246 Posts
I wasn't allowed the Copland either, nor The Owl and P*ycat the by Stravinsky. I think I was also asterisked when I referred to the band Blood Sweat & Tears by their initials, as if I was trying to type a contracted version of bull**. As I recall I got away with *******, which was a 1930s documentary with incidental music by Britten. Actually, it seems I didn't. I couldn't use S-H-Y-L-O-C-K either - what's supposed to be so offensive about a proper name?

Reactions: Ingélou

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
What's offensive is the idea that "sticks and stones may break my bones, but, gosh, I guess words are just as dangerous." I mean, the January 6 committee is broadcasting the word for steer manure unediting on national TV and the republic hasn't collapsed yet. Aren't we all adults here? Censorship is just silly and wrong-headed -- it DRAWS ATTENTION to the prohibited words afterall.

Hence this thread.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
I ran into the same "protection from naughty words" when discussing

Copland's H-o-e-down, and
some other symphonic work (as it had inspiration from n-e-g-r-o spirituals)

I know why you can write "ho" though . . . too many words have those combinations of letters, AND Santa wouldn't be able to give you a jolly "Ho, ho, ho".

Even funnier, there doesn't seem to be a proper translation for Ho-e-down in Spanish, Italian, French, or Russian.

But, the software doesn't discriminate for "ne-g-r-o", which is tough, as it's how you say "black" en español (at least that's the word I was taught 50 years ago).

·
Administrator
5,086 Posts
Agreed. I encountered a similar example with the Afro-American composer Dawson, who named his symphony (recorded by Chandos) "* Folk Symphony " (and the censored word is not the notorious N word, but the one use in Spanish for black), given by the composer himself and now deemed too sensitive.
I found the work on IMSLP: Religious Folk Songs of the Negro (Folk Songs, American) - IMSLP: Free Sheet Music PDF Download

This is the actual title of a piece of music ... but the censor blocks out n-e-g-r-o, of a published musical work! :mad:

·
Registered
15,439 Posts
Enjoy your needlessly censored music forum while it lasts. It looks to be only a matter of time until the free world caves to the fascists and authoritarians.

Reactions: Barbebleu
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.