Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Analysis of the first prelude from the WTC using traditional figured bass and galant schema, note that Roman numerals dont add that much information to the picture. The circled numbers are just the scale degree of the bass, not the fundamental root, which while invented by Rameau, was not widely used until the later 19th century

For example, after the opening 4 bars, here is a modulating prinner to G
Rectangle Slope Line Font Music

and here, from another site, is the equivalent of a lead sheet for the first few WTC preludes, which would have been the structure Bach would have improvised these from

Font Music Parallel Rectangle Number

Attachments

·
Registered
572 Posts
Rameau's treatise was published in 1722, the same year Bach published the WTC, which I always found to be interesting. Figured bass analysis would be a better tool than roman numeral analysis. As we all know, Bach didn't think in chords. I can't place the quote, but I remember reading somewhere of Bach admonishing other German composers for adopting Rameau's "French nonsense"

even if he didn't actually say anything like that, he should have, because Bach wrote following the rules of counterpoint.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rameau's treatise was published in 1722, the same year Bach published the WTC, which I always found to be interesting. Figured bass analysis would be a better tool than roman numeral analysis. As we all know, Bach didn't think in chords. I can't place the quote, but I remember reading somewhere of Bach admonishing other German composers for adopting Rameau's "French nonsense"

even if he didn't actually say anything like that, he should have, because Bach wrote following the rules of counterpoint.
Think it was JS's son CPE that railed against Rameau's method, but yes

1 - 3 of 3 Posts