Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
8,030 Posts
Well, no. We never even exhaustively explored all the possibilities of modality. But maybe not every possibility should be explored, only the compelling ones.

(Dang! I'm starting to sound like an old pedant.)

· Registered
8,950 Posts
Well, they are not the trinity themselves, so they will react differently ;)
The trinity could only exist in their own time. If they came after they would not be the same people because the circumstances that contributed to them becoming who they were would not occur.

If they did turn out to be composers I don't think they would do anything too different from what you see composers doing today. Even with brilliant composers the music still sounds of its time - they did not invent their styles out of nothing. The music is built on whatever came before it.

· Registered
21,862 Posts
The trinity could only exist in their own time. If they came after they would not be the same people because the circumstances that contributed to them becoming who they were would not occur.

If they did turn out to be composers I don't think they would do anything too different from what you see composers doing today. Even with brilliant composers the music still sounds of its time - they did not invent their styles out of nothing. The music is built on whatever came before it.
Is this the old "historically necessary and inevitable" theory of artistic evolution rearing its head, or just something that looks suspiciously like it?

· Registered
8,950 Posts
Is this the old "historically necessary and inevitable" theory of artistic evolution rearing its head, or just something that looks suspiciously like it?
I didn't say anything about what is necessary or inevitable in music - simply pointing out that if you look at Bach, Beethoven or Mozart's (or any other famous composers music) it sounds of its time. Some composers add more new elements than others, but it is pretty easy to detect the influences.

The difference today is due to many factors we have a wider range of styles being explored at once - you have many composers that are more conservative and working within older forms and many who are doing newer things. I'm just pointing out that if Bach or Mozart or Beethoven existed today and were making music - maybe it would be brilliant - but it would sound similar to something that is already being done right now.

· Registered
Mahler
4,693 Posts

· Banned
18,315 Posts
Have we already exhaustively explored all the possibilities of tonality?...before moving into atonality.

Please discuss ;)
No! With this many monkeys, sitting in front of that many typewriters (computer music programs), and creating random music data, I'm sure that one of them will come up with a new masterpiece in a thousand years or so.

· Banned
18,315 Posts
As long as there are 15-year-old girls in pink bedrooms talking on phones, there will be tonality.

As long as there are 15-year-old boys full of angst and insecurity, there will be tonality.

As long as there are men dying in wars, there will be tonal fanfares to commemorate them.

As long as mankind accepts clichés instead of real answers, there will be tonality.

As long as there is a God in heaven, there will be tonality.

Reactions: silentio

· Banned
18,315 Posts
The less notes, the more definite the tonality. Therefore, if "less is more," we can't "exhaust" the possibilities of an ever-shrinking system. We are headed towards "one note" as we get nearer to ultimate tonality. La Mont Young is already there.

Atonality, on the other hand, has an ever-increasing index of possibilities, if we divide the octave further than 12 notes. We can have 19-tone, 31-tone, or 56-tone music. Just think of the possibilities!

· Registered
108 Posts
The less notes, the more definite the tonality. Therefore, if "less is more," we can't "exhaust" the possibilities of an ever-shrinking system. We are headed towards "one note" as we get nearer to ultimate tonality. La Mont Young is already there.

Atonality, on the other hand, has an ever-increasing index of possibilities, if we divide the octave further than 12 notes. We can have 19-tone, 31-tone, or 56-tone music. Just think of the possibilities!
La Monte Young hasn't ascended a higher plane, he just thinks he has because he believes in all the guru ********. As far as the higher EDOs go, people are writing in them and no one seems to be that interested... Also, if you look into the history of those propositions it is to reenable tonality not to stretch atonality. It is a conservative wet dream.

· Banned
18,315 Posts
La Monte Young hasn't ascended a higher plane, he just thinks he has because he believes in all the guru ********. As far as the higher EDOs go, people are writing in them and no one seems to be that interested... Also, if you look into the history of those propositions it is to reenable tonality not to stretch atonality. It is a conservative wet dream.
Ah, so your true colors emerge. Sic 'im, Morimur!

· Banned
18,315 Posts
I'll bite: what do you think my true colours are?
Oh, I don't want to accuse you of any biases. That might get me reported. Morimur posted the Lamont Young and Pandit Pran Nath composer threads, so why don't you ask him about that guru ********.

· Registered
108 Posts
To return to the topic at hand...

From a combinatoric point of view we haven't exhausted the possibilities of tonality.

From an aesthetic standpoint, tonality persists as a medium for musical expression so clearly it is still of use.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.