Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During CBS's coverage of John F. Kennedy assassination, the network broadcast a memorial concert conducted by Alfredo Antonini and the CBS Orchestra. No titles of the selections were given, and I'm one of a number of people wondering about the name of the first selection that the orchestra plays. (We know the second selection is Schubert's 4th.)

Here is the YouTube link to the segment. I've marked it to start automatically at the beginning of the piece. It runs for about three minutes:

The consensus seems to be that it's a 20th Century piece, although an orchestral arrangement of an earlier piece can't be ruled out.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated, and if you can't help but have some ideas of other sources I could check, we'd be grateful!

·
Registered
15 Posts
During CBS's coverage of John F. Kennedy assassination, the network broadcast a memorial concert conducted by Alfredo Antonini and the CBS Orchestra. No titles of the selections were given, and I'm one of a number of people wondering about the name of the first selection that the orchestra plays. (We know the second selection is Schubert's 4th.)
It's likely irrelevant to identifying the three minute piece but in Director, Merrill Brockway's book "Surprise was My Teacher", he recalls on the day of John F. Kennedy assassination, him being asked to report urgently to the studios which transpired to him directing the broadcast of the memorial concert conducted by Alfredo Antonini and the CBS Orchestra. He recalls there being no time for any preperation, being given no score and, worse, the first piece by Franck, Symphony in D Minor, first movement, making it difficult to time a zoom in on the different instrumental sections.

·
Premium Member
Liszt, Bruckner, Chopin, Wallace, Bortkiewicz.
2,781 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's likely irrelevant to identifying the three minute piece but in Director, Merrill Brockway's book "Surprise was My Teacher", he recalls on the day of John F. Kennedy assassination, him being asked to report urgently to the studios which transpired to him directing the broadcast of the memorial concert conducted by Alfredo Antonini and the CBS Orchestra. He recalls there being no time for any preperation, being given no score and, worse, the first piece by Franck, Symphony in D Minor, first movement, making it difficult to time a zoom in on the different instrumental sections.
Great story--I love hearing about these backstage situations! Thanks for sharing!

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
Couldn't tell if you were trying to say something here.
I believed that was Rachmaninov. I have written it, but after a while I changed my mind, although I still believe that this IS Rach....

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
Interesting! Any speculation on which piece?
I thought the Vocalize op.34 for piano and cello arranged for orchestra, because I believed this isn't something originally composed for orchestra. ( the audio is also not very good to help me)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts