Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Premium Member
Haydn, Mozart, Vivaldi, Wagner, Brahms, Schumann
14,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed while searching youtube that the modern performances always, or almost always, do not take the high note.

What's up with that?
Can't sing it or choose not too.
I like it :)

· Registered
10,415 Posts
If you mean the top Eb, probably a bit of both. It's not written and plenty singers of the past didn't sing it either and some (Ponselle and Tebaldi for instance) transpose the whole thing down.

Personally, I like it, and if the soprano has the note easily, why not?

· Premium Member
14,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gheorghiu and Fleming and Netrebko don't.
Who does?

· Registered
1,417 Posts
If you mean the top Eb, probably a bit of both. It's not written and plenty singers of the past didn't sing it either and some (Ponselle and Tebaldi for instance) transpose the whole thing down.

Personally, I like it, and if the soprano has the note easily, why not?
Well, as Greg notes, the Eb is not in the score (though there are plenty of high Cs), and I think modern singers are as a general rule less likely to take liberties of that kind than ones of days gone by.

· Premium Member
14,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, as Greg notes, the Eb is not in the score (though there are plenty of high Cs), and I think modern singers are as a general rule less likely to take liberties of that kind than ones of days gone by.
One extreme to the other. ugh

· Registered
10,415 Posts
I don't know, to be honest. It wasn't a given in the past. Callas, Cotrubas and Sutherland did. De Los Angeles, Freni and Caballe didn't. I don't know who, if anyone, sings it now.

· Premium Member
14,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sills did...................

· Registered
4,659 Posts
There are many good, or even very good, Traviatas that simply don't have the high E flat. So they sing what Verdi wrote, and in my view this is always the right thing to do.

Having said that, this interpolation is one that is at the same time spectacular singing, and also made for good drama, it's just another step in Violetta's cavalcade to her utter surrender to romantic love.

So, I'm also 100% fine with singing this note, if the performer can really sing it well.

In fact, for the birdy Violettas of the early 20th century, singers like Tetrazzini, Galli-Curci, Pons,.. it was almost a must. You couldn't sing Violetta, without this note. :)

In the theater, I remember one huge, incredible one from Edita Gruberova that filled the full house, and menaced to break the walls.

· Registered
10,415 Posts
Actually I think you'll find only Scotto sings what Verdi actually wrote in the Muti recording (when he was going through his straight jacketing phase). She resolves to the Ab in the middle of the stave where most sopranos (even the ones who don't sing the Eb in alt) resolve to the Ab above the stave.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.