Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last movement of my symphony I am having the viola play up to G at the top of the treble clef. I wouldn't think there is a problem with it, as far as difficulty or sound quality, but I thought I would ask if any of you know because I don't see it done that often. (The viola is paying harmony, but it actually goes a little higher than the 2nd violin which is playing melody an octave lower than the first.)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by daniel@Sep 12 2004, 10:09 AM
I think your question is if viola can go higher than 2 nd violin concerning to sound and playability.

About the difficulty don't worry. A lot of viola scores are really not easy and go even higher.

About the sound: If you don't let them play all the time higher than 2 nd violin, there is no reason why not to do it. Firstly you get an amazing sound. Viola's high position is kinda smooth and warm if they play together, much more than the clear crystal sounding of the violins. Secondly you get a new colour. Usually viola should play lower than 2 nd violin, but that isn't a strict rule. Just feel free to do it.
[snapback]1906[/snapback]​
Thanks! I figured there would not be any problem scoring the violas high, but I thought I would ask if someone here knew of one. Thanks for telling me what they sound like high, also. :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Quaverion@Sep 12 2004, 09:15 PM
This is the symphony you are writing? Is it nearly complete? Let's see what you have so far.
[snapback]1919[/snapback]​
I don't like to post something unfinished. <_< :p But I am nearly done, so it will not be long from now.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Nox@Sep 12 2004, 08:48 PM
...*sigh* Another viola part I won't be able to play...;p
[snapback]1918[/snapback]​
You can't play high notes? Sorry about that! Anyway you don't have to play this piece. :)

It is necessary for equality that the violas play that high. The first violins here have to go up to B-flat 6, just below the highest note on the flute. (And anyone who doesn't like THAT can play SECOND violin!) :p :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.