Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I love this forum for so many reasons. Yesterday night I typed Celibidache on the search section to read about the Maestro, the pros, the cons, etc.
(edit: that actually led to no problem, but I don’t remember what I typed that was totally frustrating).
This forum is a gold mine for classical music aficionados.
But the Game threads completely clog up that fonction. We end up having to skip innumerable amount of pages that contain the relevant word on those “game threads” where absolutely nothing can be learned.
Would it be possible to declassify the game threads from any search fonction ?
It’s exhausting and counterproductive for an otherwise blissful forum.

Thank you,
Bernamej

Edit: Celibidache is the worse example, as explained under.

·
Administrator
11,936 Posts
I didn't check the search function on TC, but I did search for Celibidache in Google. When I simply used:

Celibidache site:talkclassical.com

I did find a small number of threads in the polls forum. When I used:

Celibidache -polls site:talkclassical.com

I found none. Perhaps that would be a good solution for you to check for whatever you wish on TC (i.e. including -polls in the search line).

·
Super Moderator
30,561 Posts
I love this forum for so many reasons. Yesterday night I typed Celibidache on the search section to read about the Maestro, the pros, the cons, etc.
This forum is a gold mine for classical music aficionados.
But the Game threads completely clog up that fonction. We end up having to skip innumerable amount of pages that contain the relevant word on those “game threads” where absolutely nothing can be learned.
Would it be possible to declassify the game threads from any search fonction ?
It’s exhausting and counterproductive for an otherwise blissful forum.

Thank you,
Bernamej
I don't know what you typed in, but simply typing Celibidache in the TC "search community" field yields no game threads at all at least for the first 40 responses. That's not surprising either because most of the games are about compositions, and not about conductors.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know what you typed in, but simply typing Celibidache in the TC "search community" field yields no game threads at all at least for the first 40 responses. That's not surprising either because most of the games are about compositions, and not about conductors.
Omg sir !!!! Ok I gave a bad example, incredible. You’re missing the point.
I don’t remember what I typed, Brahms, Schumann, Bruckner...I just don’t remember but I remember going over endless GAME pages where I knew there was absolutely NOTHING to read about.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't check the search function on TC, but I did search for Celibidache in Google. When I simply used:

Celibidache site:talkclassical.com

I did find a small number of threads in the polls forum. When I used:

Celibidache -polls site:talkclassical.com

I found none. Perhaps that would be a good solution for you to check for whatever you wish on TC (i.e. including -polls in the search line).
I don’t care about Celibidache per se ! I gave a bad example. Try Schumann or Brahms and then let me know.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate your responses but it’s a shame i gave such a bad example because my point still remains ! I just gave a very bad example because of my faulty memory.

·
Premium Member
Chicago (ex-Dublin)
2,282 Posts
1) Click on "Search Community" at the top - Just click once.

2) Click on "Advanced Search"

3) In "Keywords" - Type "Schumann" or "Brahms"

4) Put a check in "Search titles only" for threads which have the words "Schumann" or "Brahms" in the title. - Leave it unchecked if you want to search the posts within the threads.

5) In "Search in Forums", the words "All Forums" are selected by default. - Do not use this - This is important.

6) Scroll down 5 places from "All Forums" and click on "Classical Music Discussion"

7) Uncheck - "Include sub-forums in search" - This is important - If you don't do this, you won't receive the results you're seeking.

7) Click on "Search"

If you want just the threads that have "Schumann" in the title here are the results -

Not a single game...

If you want all of the threads and posts within "Classical Music Discussion" that have the word "Schumann" in the body here are the results -

Not a single game...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1) Click on "Search Community" at the top - Just click once.

2) Click on "Advanced Search"

3) In "Keywords" - Type "Schumann" or "Brahms"

4) Put a check in "Search titles only" for threads which have the words "Schumann" or "Brahms" in the title. - Leave it unchecked if you want to search the posts within the threads.

5) In "Search in Forums", the words "All Forums" are selected by default. - Do not use this - This is important.

6) Scroll down 5 places from "All Forums" and click on "Classical Music Discussion"

7) Uncheck - "Include sub-forums in search" - This is important - If you don't do this, you won't receive the results you're seeking.

7) Click on "Search"

If you want just the threads that have "Schumann" in the title here are the results -

Not a single game...

If you want all of the threads and posts within "Classical Music Discussion" that have the word "Schumann" in the body here are the results -

Not a single game...
Thank you very much !!!

·
Premium Member
Chicago (ex-Dublin)
2,282 Posts
Thank you very much !!!
If you really want to thank me, go to your first post #1 and click on the three "dots" at the top right of the post.

Click on "Edit"

At the top of your post is the title - You'll see the word "Title" with a red asterisk next to it.

Click on the title section and swipe your mouse to the left to delete your original title.

Replace it with - "How do I narrow down my search results?"

And then click on "Save"

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you really want to thank me, go to your first post #1 and click on the three "dots" at the top right of the post.

Click on "Edit"

At the top of your post is the title - You'll see the word "Title" with a red asterisk next to it.

Click on the title section and swipe your mouse to the left to delete your original title.

Replace it with - "How do I narrow down my search results?"

And then click on "Save"
Ahahaha, done !

·
Administrator
176 Posts
How To Search The Site

Near the top of the community, you will see a search bar.

Enter a search term or phrase and click enter on your keyboard or click the magnifying glass.

Advanced Search

To narrow down search results, click on “Advanced Search” after clicking the search bar.

This will allow you to choose to search titles only, add the member username who posted it or even select a specific forum to search from.

Enter your search criteria and click “Search “ at the bottom.

You can also access advanced search by clicking the 3 vertical dots near the upper right-hand corner of the site and selecting “Advanced “Search”

Search Specific Forum

If you want to search a specific section, navigate to the forum section before entering your search term in the search bar and then select the option.

Search Specific Discussion Thread

If you want to search a specific discussion thread, navigate to it before entering your search term in the search bar and then select the option.

- Cricket

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How To Search The Site

Near the top of the community, you will see a search bar.

Enter a search term or phrase and click enter on your keyboard or click the magnifying glass.

Advanced Search

To narrow down search results, click on “Advanced Search” after clicking the search bar.

This will allow you to choose to search titles only, add the member username who posted it or even select a specific forum to search from.

Enter your search criteria and click “Search “ at the bottom.

You can also access advanced search by clicking the 3 vertical dots near the upper right-hand corner of the site and selecting “Advanced “Search”

Search Specific Forum

If you want to search a specific section, navigate to the forum section before entering your search term in the search bar and then select the option.

Search Specific Discussion Thread

If you want to search a specific discussion thread, navigate to it before entering your search term in the search bar and then select the option.

- Cricket
Beautiful.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts