Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
30,657 Posts
But there's still hope: in Japan, S Korea, Taiwan, China and other parts of the Orient, classical music is highly valued and sought out.
I've seen statements like this a lot - but are there actual data available? Does a larger percentage of the population of these countries listen to classical music and/or go to concerts compared to say Europe and the USA?

·
Super Moderator
30,657 Posts
I doubt that Classical music is higher in the East than the 1% (nor has it ever been much higher) for the rest of the world; Jazz also accounts for 1% of the global market. The masses go for music which is more obviously entertaining: Rap, Pop and Country - and there's nothing wrong with that.
Agreed with that. Based on my personal experience (which is of course a limited sample), I doubt it as well. I lived almost four years in Singapore. My wife and I went to concerts of the Singapore symphony orchestra a number of times - it was never sold out, in spite of programming 'bums on seats' war horses. My staff and sales office colleagues (total about 50, most of them polytechnic or university graduates) had zero interest in classical music. My Shanghai family-in-law (including uncles, aunts and cousins of my wife) are mostly university educated, and the only interest a few of them show in classical music is when a Western orchestra has a guest appearance, because it is 'in' to spend a lot of money on tickets for that (the show-off factor).

·
Super Moderator
30,657 Posts
I removed a number of posts which were political. Politics are not allowed in Talk Classical, except in the dedicated sub-forum, and then only if they are clearly related to classical music.

·
Super Moderator
30,657 Posts
Another way is to mention that many pop/rock musicians like CM. There are YT videos with samples of songs and what they borrowed from decades or centuries before.
Until the mid 80s, I had listened to pop/rock exclusively (mainly prog, art pop, glam, new wave, and what we now call classic rock). One of my favourite artists was David Sylvian (leadsinger of Japan, later solo). I had read that he was influenced by Erik Satie, so that made me explore a classical composer for the first time. Combined with the arrival of the CD, that catalysed my love for classical music (although not at the expense of pop/rock).

·
Super Moderator
30,657 Posts
If we ask CM enthusiasts in here, when did you begin your interest in CM? The age of 10 or 12 or 15? I think the college years is too late for most people. As the brain matures (they say not until 19(?)) these mysterious affinities and potentialities get pruned away. It's a natural process.
I was 29 (35 years ago) when I started to listen to classical music. I was in my 40s when I really started to get interest in fine art, which is now one of my main interests. I was in my 50s when I picked up artistic photography as a hobby - and to the extent that I actually sell my work.

Are we doing anything about these losses? 'Not since the early 1960s.
We had 'music' (which in practice was classical music) as one of the subjects in the first years of highschool (age 12-13). Can't remember too much about it, the only things that stuck with me was that we were taught about the lay-out of a symphony orchestra, and we listened to Mussorgsky's Pictures. It certainly did not inspire me to start listening to classical music outside school. The same with 'high class' novels: we had to read something like 30 Dutch and 15 English famous works for the final high school examination - it was just a chore, and did not make me interested in them.

Based on talks with friends and family of my generation, this is not a unique experience at all.

·
Super Moderator
30,657 Posts
Some posts have been deleted or edited. Please discuss the contents of the posts made, including people's opinions, rather than speculate why fellow members have that opinion, or how they came to state things the way they do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts