Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Mahler
3,907 Posts
I agree with the above posts that classical music was NEVER popular with average middle class Joes.

Of course I am not a musicologist and the above is just an opinion.

·
Registered
Mahler
3,907 Posts
One of the problems with topics like this is the tendency to come up with an assertation that one fits all.

There is no way that the state of classical music in the United States can be compared with Estonia.

·
Registered
Mahler
3,907 Posts
75yh Army Band

Anyways, when I became Chief of Real Estate for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers...
When I was with the Army I played with the 75th Army Band at Fort Belvoir (1968-1970). At that time the school for the Corps of Engineers was there. We used to play for all of the graduations.

Reactions: Bulldog

·
Registered
Mahler
3,907 Posts
European concert music was really never that big with the masses. I have read in several sources that most of the people who lived in rural Germany/Austria had never heard of Beethoven.

I could not find it, maybe some here can, but several years ago a member had an excellent post on the influence on Edison and the record player had on musical culture. Prior to Edison most popular musicians were musically illiterate. With a recording they could create an account of their music without knowing the difference between a half note and a half rest. This allowed what we called call popular music to catch up and surpass classical.

·
Registered
Mahler
3,907 Posts
I applaud anyone who has a passion for music. I don't care if it's Classical or Rap, or Musical Theater, or Pop, or Goth Metal - whatever. I love hearing from people about the kind of music that they enjoy, especially if it is a kind of music I've never listened to.

I am not out to convert anyone to my taste in music. Quite to the contrary, I welcome interaction with those people whose taste is diametrically opposite to my own. I want to expand my listening horizons.

So regarding the OP's question: How do we bring back Classical Music for the Average Joe?

My answer is how do we bring ourselves to enjoy the music the Average Joe listens to?
Th last thing I want to be told is that what I am listening to is a waste of time.

And I have no problem with people who listen to music that I may dislike.

·
Registered
Mahler
3,907 Posts
I know what makes classical music unique but that does not mean it is superior.

I am firmly convinced that the final arbitrator is one's ear.

If it sounds good to one's ear, it is good.

And what sounds good to me may not work for others.

I do not think that my ears are superior to others because I get Elliott Carter. There are many great composers I do not get.

Reactions: SanAntone
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.