Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Given the OP, I don’t know why we have to, yet again, be ‘schooled’ on the subject of all the music in other countries and from all other cultures and, if that isn’t enough, have to read the wonders of hip-hop and what not. On a classical music forum, are we supposed to be apologetic for thinking that CM is particularly special? Do we have to put up with being called elitists? If someone wants to get on their soapbox on the subject of the wonders of the music from other cultures, then start another thread. It’s getting old already.

I don’t think that many people who love classical music have it in their minds that anybody who loves other kinds of music is supposed to be convinced that CM is superior or that someone from another country is supposed to accept that CM as better than music they grew up with. That being said, there is something unique about classical music. I know of no other genre that has spread around the world from the places of its origin to other cultures with their own histories of music that are vastly different from that of CM.

And, please, let’s leave popular and hip-hop music out of the equation.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Baby boomers had a relatively rich exposure to classical music growing up. It was in movies and on television. Who didn’t see Fantasia growing up? Who didn’t see Bugs Bunny/Warner Bros. cartoons at theaters? CM occupied a significant section in most record stores. Tower Records had a free-standing CM store on Sunset Strip in Hollywood. It was typical that families have their children take up an instrument and have music lessons which typically emphasized classical music. It is naivety for anyone to suggest that with the increasingly limited exposure to CM during the formative years, at least in North America, the Average Joe will, on average, pick up classical music on their own without some early exposure and guidance.

Classical music is more complex and sophisticated than many other genres including hip-hop. A poster can continue to push a message that to suggest that is heresy, but the continued repetition is not going to change that fact. And inferring that one is saying that classical music is better than other music, when people have the right to their own preferences whether CM or otherwise, is just a way to try to put people on the defensive. Don’t fall for it.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
European concert music had a very real presence in the cities of Mozart and Beethoven's time. It's doubtful that classical music, no matter whether during the time of Beethoven or later, had a big impact on, or presence in, rural populations which usually meant low populations and less access to concert, salon and other venues.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
...If you are really concerned with advocating for Classical music, you would be well served to drop the genre-supremacy argument. In my experience, starting with myself, but reflected with many of my friends and colleagues, the biggest turn-off to Classical Music are its greatest fans. Their condescending attitude toward other genres of music, is received by other more open minded music lovers as an indication that the person pushing the Classical Music supremacy line is dismissed regarding their opinions about music in general.
Another round of warm fuzzies for, well I guess just about all of us. Over the many decades I have spent close to various classical communities, I have never experienced an elitist, 'our music is better than anyone else's' attitude. The overriding feeling has been a common wonderment at how magnificent classical music is and how lucky we are to have experienced and to still be experiencing it.

Rather than all of us having been cloistered in nothing other than CM, many of us, including myself have enjoyed a lot of other music genres and have felt that we would have missed something rewarding without having had that experience also.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts