Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 10 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
When I was young (the 70s and 80s) classical music was certainly being marketed as accessible to everyone. My first proper introduction to classical music was through the widely advertised CD compilation "The Classic Experience" of 1988. Then there was the Three Tenors in 1990... The UK's first commercial radio station, Classic FM, launched in 1992 to much success and now has about 6 million listeners, which sounds impressive until you realise that means 90% of the country doesn't listen to it. Plus its playlist consists of only that portion of the classical repertoire that won't frighten off a general audience.

The average Joe is getting on just fine without classical music - and, realistically, vice versa.
Spot on.

(This is to get my post over 15 characters)

·
Registered
875 Posts
No they haven't. They have been replaced with coding, computer engineering, and hard sciences, by people who continuously devalue humanities courses because their view of higher education is as job training.
You are incorrect and mbhaub is correct. Computer and science courses have not intruded into the humanities. He pointed out the way classical music has been devalued in the humanities, specifically by music academics.

Reactions: advokat

·
Registered
875 Posts
To be blunt, I think my statement that universities are now far more about extremely expensive job training is more supportable than "kids are learning Michael Jackson instead of Bach at music academies".
To be blunt, that means you haven't looked at university course offerings in music.

·
Registered
875 Posts
If one wishes to promote classical music, it might be a good idea to begin by acknowledging that listening to music as art is different than listening to it as entertainment, ear candy, or distraction.
Spot on.

(Gotta get my 15 characters with this)

·
Registered
875 Posts
What do we mean "into classical music", anyway? A lot of average Joes don't even listen to music- in fact, historically, one of the most common "average Joe" opinions is decrying whatever the current state of popular music is!
True, but that doesn't mean those "Joes" don't listen to music; they just don't listen to current popular music.

I have been a musician (mainly classical but also rock back in the 1960s and 1970s) for over 50 years. In talking with many people about popular music over those years, I have found that many, not all, tend to "carry through life" the popular music they listened to in middle school, high school and college. These people have little, if any, interest in contemporary popular music. Again, this is not the case with everyone, but it is true for many.

It is very rare to meet someone who doesn't listen to some kind of music.

·
Registered
875 Posts
It's not the health food, it's the 3 star guide Michelin french chef food. Or in the weakest case: Take it as an argument for exposure and variety. Would you make the same argument that people are "happy" listening to current charts popular music and don't miss or need anything to someone who would suggest exposure to some ethnic music or Indian classical?
Or would you suggest that people could as well read only superhero comics in school and forego Shakespeare and Dickens because that's just another genre of literature, not any better or worse in any conceivable sense?

Popular culture has been drowning every other culture for more than half a century and pushed it into niches. Of course people cannot miss classical music if they are hardly exposed to it or only as something odd as opposed to "normal" music. It is a grotesque distortion to suggest elites were pushing classical music down the throats of the people when they have been conditioned by constant exposure to popular trash since their childhood for two or even three generations now. And it is also grotesque to describe the result as something "natural" or free choice. It is as free as someone is who could for all his live choose between Burger King and McDonalds...
An excellent post!

1 - 10 of 13 Posts