Classical Music Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
[Responding to the claim that "in Japan, S Korea, Taiwan, China and other parts of the Orient, classical music is highly valued and sought out..."] I've seen statements like this a lot - but are there actual data available? Does a larger percentage of the population of these countries listen to classical music and/or go to concerts compared to say Europe and the USA?
Lack of reliable data on this issue is a big problem. And good data collection typically takes money. But why spend money on anything related to classical music, including data collection, when the prevailing conception is to devalue it in the first place?

·
Registered
128 Posts
How do we bring back Classical Music for the Average Joe ? ... Classical Music as it stands right now is not popular with the average middle class Joe.
I wouldn't hold my breath for classical music to become widely popular, but I do believe it could be made far more accessible, as I've discussed in other threads. It would take a coordinated strategy. Widespread music education in public schools is one element. Government subsidization to bolster financial stability and provide free or very low-cost concert tickets is another. Providing engaging repertoire is another. Those are ideas for starters.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.