Classical Music Forum banner
341 - 346 of 346 Posts

·
Registered
13,051 Posts
That's completely unreasonable. Many people hold the opinion that Classical Music isn't superior (or whatever word they use) than other music, and that is obviously not the case. Classical Music, no matter in terms of complexity, meaning, history or artistic accomplishments, are far superior than modern music.

[... snip ...]

So, how do we bring ourselves to enjoy the music the Average Joe listen to? Making the Average Joe love better music is the priority, then let's love good music together.
First by dispensing with the incorrect notion that Classical music is superior to any other kind. Now, I am not saying that all music is of equal quality. No, what I am saying is that there is good Pop, good Rock, good Blues, good Folk, good Bluegrass, good Rap, good Latin, etc., and it only requires an open and non-judgmental mind to learn about it, appreciate it, and discover good music beyond Classical.

But I am also not saying that if someone only wishes to listen to Classical, that's okay too, as long as they don't think they are listening to the best music in the history of the world.

Basically, I find the idea that Classical music is superior is based on an assumption supported by a biased set of priorities and ignorance of the attributes of non-Classical music which are not present in Classical music, but nonetheless create good music.

·
Registered
Mahler
3,907 Posts
I know what makes classical music unique but that does not mean it is superior.

I am firmly convinced that the final arbitrator is one's ear.

If it sounds good to one's ear, it is good.

And what sounds good to me may not work for others.

I do not think that my ears are superior to others because I get Elliott Carter. There are many great composers I do not get.

Reactions: SanAntone

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
OP? You ask them how they became interested in pop music. Melodies, lyrics, rhythm, and unusual effects. What were the hooks?

·
Registered
132 Posts
[Responding to the claim that "in Japan, S Korea, Taiwan, China and other parts of the Orient, classical music is highly valued and sought out..."] I've seen statements like this a lot - but are there actual data available? Does a larger percentage of the population of these countries listen to classical music and/or go to concerts compared to say Europe and the USA?
Lack of reliable data on this issue is a big problem. And good data collection typically takes money. But why spend money on anything related to classical music, including data collection, when the prevailing conception is to devalue it in the first place?

·
Registered
132 Posts
How do we bring back Classical Music for the Average Joe ? ... Classical Music as it stands right now is not popular with the average middle class Joe.
I wouldn't hold my breath for classical music to become widely popular, but I do believe it could be made far more accessible, as I've discussed in other threads. It would take a coordinated strategy. Widespread music education in public schools is one element. Government subsidization to bolster financial stability and provide free or very low-cost concert tickets is another. Providing engaging repertoire is another. Those are ideas for starters.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
I wouldn't hold my breath for classical music to become widely popular, but I do believe it could be made far more accessible, as I've discussed in other threads. It would take a coordinated strategy. Widespread music education in public schools is one element. Government subsidization to bolster financial stability and provide free or very low-cost concert tickets is another. Providing engaging repertoire is another. Those are ideas for starters.
Educators need to ask older folks what CM has done for them in their later lives. ...After other interests have gone stale... The challenge, the inspiration, the worldview, the therapy, the self-actualization.
The sad reality is, you don't learn this in university. It's not on the wavelength while you're young (under 55 years of age). Educators (in charge) might have missed the boat, or they're too young to recognize what they could have had (if they had only paid attention and supplied the effort).

341 - 346 of 346 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.