Classical Music Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Many of the good ones can't be found on YouTube in high quality video. But you can find segments of Jerome Robbins' "Dancers at a Gathering" here.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dan...KUQ_AUoAXoECAMQAQ&biw=1024&bih=665&dpr=2#ip=1

The ballet consists of a number of dances set to the solo piano works of Chopin.
An excellent DVD of the Royal Ballet performing Dances at a Gathering has just been released. The coupling is especially interesting too. See here http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2021/Apr/Cellist-dances-OABD7277D.htm

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Yes, I enjoy watching and listening to the ballet. It is much more enjoyable than just listening. Unlike opera, you need the visual for the complete experience.
Not for me. I don't really enjoy watching opera or ballet. I get an incredible amount of pleasure by just listening to the music. Of course, I do sometimes like to know about the narrative of the ballet, so I'll read a synopsis of it beforehand. But, I think if you enjoy listening to the music, then that's all that truly matters. I will also say that just because something does have a story or some kind of narrative, it doesn't mean I'll come away with that experience after listening to it. A scene in a ballet could be described as a being a night scene with haunting creatures lurking in the background, but what I interpret it to be is a scene at sunset walking along a pier and listening to the water hitting the shore. We all experience music in a different way and hear things through our own unique frame of mind and this experience is completely singular and not one person will hear what you hear. That's the great thing about this music --- there's no wrong to interpret it.

Reactions: Conrad2
21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.