Classical Music Forum banner
81 - 100 of 180 Posts

· Registered
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Very condescending. "I think you're hot, keep it up." Really don't see the value of this thread.
Very nonsense! I'm sure Wang will be grateful for having the captain empower her! :rolleyes:
Wow. You guys are missing the point. I think Wang gets a lot of flack for her outfits, I’m on her side and there’s nothing wrong with that and certainly not condescending.

· Registered
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
To completely dismiss appearances like most are in this thread is to not be intellectually honest. Even appreciating a conservative look is to value the look of the performer.

As Eva said, we should empower artists that seem to dress how they please, like I think Yuja Wang does.

· Registered
584 Posts
As Eva said, we should empower artists that seem to dress how they please, like I think Yuja Wang does.
Yes, I agree – we should encourage artists to dress how they feel most comfortable. Something I haven't seen brought up on this thread so far is practicality. For instance, most instrumentalists I know wouldn't want to perform in something that restricts movement too much, as this can interfere with their performance capabilities.

· Registered
Sibelius, Beethoven, Satie, Debussy
2,717 Posts
Wow. You guys are missing the point. I think Wang gets a lot of flack for her outfits, I’m on her side and there’s nothing wrong with that and certainly not condescending.
I'm sure there's all kinds of points being made here, some being missed, others being ignored or not made very well.

Look, of course appearance can make a difference. Or, perhaps more widely, presentation. If a pianist wears sombre, head-to-toe clothing and plays solemnly, or hot pants and plays wildly, this is highly likely to have differing impacts on the listener's reception of the music.

But your question was not, does appearance have an impact, but how important is it in your favourite performer. Given your evident enthusiasm for Yuja Wang in particular, it's perfectly reasonable to conclude that you are actually asking (yet again) whether finding Wang attractive makes a difference to our reception of the music, but in a thinly disguised effort to make it slightly less about whether you think she's sexy!

I've only watched one of her performances, on TV, and yes, I raised an eyebrow (not a disapproving one) at her appearance. Then I raised two eyebrows at her astonishing performance. It's her musical ability that is most memorable, and the idea that she needs you to empower her to wear what she wants is, frankly, risible.

I'm happy for performers and audiences to wear what they wish to the concert hall, though I daresay I might find it distracting if Sir Simon Rattle were to turn up dressed like Dame Edna Everage.

· Registered
912 Posts
It's unimportant to me as related to performance. However if the performer happens to be attractive then that's just how it is and I will probably admire that as well. There is, I think, a difference between that and the looks of a person being a vital component.

The numbers of comments on Yuja Wang videos either denouncing her or running to her aid boggle my mind. The former are the usual crowd of moralist bores and the latter hide their perving behind 'defence of the rights of women'.

· Registered
2,179 Posts
The numbers of comments on Yuja Wang videos either denouncing her or running to her aid boggle my mind. The former are the usual crowd of moralist bores and the latter hide their perving behind 'defence of the rights of women'.
Or the latter are really annoyed by the moralist bores. The first time I heard Yuja I had her performance opened in one tab while I was doing work in the other tabs. Flipped back at the end of the performance and scrolled to the comments only to find them littered with the "moralist bores" obsessively focused/commenting on what she wore. The "white knighting" may be cringey as well but is also expected as a reaction against such negativity. I'd add that even those that appreciate watching Yuja's performances for her looks aren't what I'd call "perving." Humans enjoy looking at attractive humans; it's the most natural thing in the world, and is only considered perverted by the moralist bores.

· Registered
912 Posts
Or the latter are really annoyed by the moralist bores. The first time I heard Yuja I had her performance opened in one tab while I was doing work in the other tabs. Flipped back at the end of the performance and scrolled to the comments only to find them littered with the "moralist bores" obsessively focused/commenting on what she wore. The "white knighting" may be cringey as well but is also expected as a reaction against such negativity. I'd add that even those that appreciate watching Yuja's performances for her looks aren't what I'd call "perving." Humans enjoy looking at attractive humans; it's the most natural thing in the world, and is only considered perverted by the moralist bores.
If you want to look at Yuja Wang's vital statistics, I'm not stopping you.

· Registered
1,998 Posts
Very condescending. "I think you're hot, keep it up." Really don't see the value of this thread.
That's a less-than-charitable interpretation. I think it's a perfectly valid viewpoint to notice the similarities between the work that goes into vocal/auditory beauty and the work that goes into visual beauty as having something in common.

This is a forum for classical music afficionados, most of whom are elderly. Surely such guilty-until-proven-innocent thinking is a little excessive.

· Registered
1,998 Posts
What's the significance of this?
That it's disrespectful to give one's elders so little benefit of the doubt. Don't get me wrong, I've been pretty aggressive with a small minority of very aggressive and entitled old people. I believing in hitting back when people legitimately have terrible boundaries, but I think society has gone too far in the other direction, and we've normalized a complete lack of respect for one's elders.

· Registered
2,390 Posts
"DIrty old man" is an idiom for a reason
So is 'impudent young upstart'!
Seriously, sexual attraction is one thing and musical performance is another. And performers should wear whatever they're comfortable in. If that means glossy lycra held together by string, so be it, but T-shirt and jeans ought to be acceptable too.

· Banned
Debussy, Mahler, Strauss, Sibelius, Bartók
6,562 Posts
View attachment 182769
View attachment 182770

If you were brand new to CM...which album do you take home from the store?
The Strauss most definitely, because I'm the kind of listener who does a lot of research about composers and their music or, at least, this is what happened when I first started to seriously listen to this music. Album covers don't tell me anything about the music therein. This Yuja Wang cover looks like a woman who is child-like. This doesn't exactly draw me in or make me want to buy the recording.

81 - 100 of 180 Posts