Classical Music Forum banner
101 - 120 of 174 Posts

· Registered
6,056 Posts
So is 'impudent young upstart'!
Seriously, sexual attraction is one thing and musical performance is another. And performers should wear whatever they're comfortable in. If that means glossy lycra held together by string, so be it, but T-shirt and jeans ought to be acceptable too.
Years ago and probably now too, young women will dress for fashion. They've been acculturated to "look nice". It's a little humorous to them that it makes them too alluring. And they're correct, in the main. Generation gaps, different immediate priorities. "I wear less at the beach."
Some day they might look back and be a little bit embarrassed (or not at all).

· Registered
189 Posts
That's a less-than-charitable interpretation. I think it's a perfectly valid viewpoint to notice the similarities between the work that goes into vocal/auditory beauty and the work that goes into visual beauty as having something in common.

This is a forum for classical music afficionados, most of whom are elderly. Surely such guilty-until-proven-innocent thinking is a little excessive.
First of all, OP is not elderly. Even if he was, "respect your elders" is meaningless in this situation. Second of all, while there are interesting ways to talk about this subject that don't come off as misogynistic, this ain't it. If you want to talk about how you're attracted to Yuja Wang, go ahead, I guess, but don't expect people to think it's interesting and not verging on creepy.

· Registered
2,505 Posts
they bought the dang tickets!

i mean this is show business. you can pretend this is elevated high culture as much as you want, but a star musician touring around the world selling tickets to concerts is show business. it's been that way since superstar soloists existed.

· Registered
1,071 Posts
CD covers are important to me too, a fact which I don't like but sometimes they just grab your eye. But it isn't anything to do with the performers; font choice and layout are important, and sometimes it just "clicks." Here are some examples of covers I really like, which don't even have people on them (chosen somewhat at random):

A lot of smaller labels have comparatively terrible graphic design (but I sometimes like to think that this is because their budget goes to more important places):

(Yes, that is spelled Götterdämerung [sic] on the Pristine reissue, not Götterdämmerung.)

A really good album cover might make me pick up the album, but I still don't think it would influence my thoughts upon hearing the album.

I'll stop here since there are other threads dedicated to album cover art. I just responded since it came up, and I do think it has a role to play (even if I wish it didn't). But that is not tantamount to the title of this thread; I still reject that (at least in my own personal experience). Sorry I'm not trying to get off topic, just trying to demonstrate what I'm thinking, and that really nice album covers don't need to involve any form of attraction to the physical image of the performer.

· Registered
863 Posts
The Tristan & Isolde and Bartok covers are what classical albums always looked like in the past (my past anyway). In fact for albums that weren't classical as well. There used to be lots of interesting and novel artwork.

· Registered
1,071 Posts
curious

Do you think an in person concert with an exceptionally attractive performer might? Maybe make you more wanting to be accepting?
I'm dubious that it would. It isn't a question of "accepting" anything for me; it's just not really a factor. If anything, someone dressing provocatively might make me suspicious that they are trying to essentially seduce the audience into liking them, but that would have to be a pretty extreme case. In live concerts I'm not that close anyway, which might diminish whatever effect that would have. I'm not a huge fan of how Jean Rondeau dresses but I was able to get past that and hear the pathos in his recording made for the Netherlands Bach Society. It's especially easy for me to focus on the music and not the performer when I'm very familiar with the music and and trying to evaluate the interpretation in real time. Part of this may also be my heavy reliance on recordings before a concert, which possibly have trained me to rely more on my ears and less on my eyes.

101 - 120 of 174 Posts