Classical Music Forum banner
121 - 140 of 174 Posts

· Registered
8,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Looks and provocative dress are sometimes used to distract from less that quality performance (think certain YouTube personality pianists)

I agree. I just think looks can be under-appreciated in our culture. Not that being fit and dressing seductively is the only look possible, there are several, including the conservative look.

· Registered
6,098 Posts
Yuja Wang is a smart business woman. She is marketing a product which is her skill and her attractiveness/outfits. The latter would not be very effective without the former. There are more extremely talented available professional concert pianists than major concert venue schedule availability. My guess is that when a major orchestra is setting it’s schedule, Yuja Wang would top the list of all others as a ‘get’. Cunning little critter!

· Registered
6,056 Posts
I want to see the pianists from a distance and also their hands in close up.

My quarrel is with the camera men (their directors) who seem to want to spontaneously make up a movie plot as they pan around!
Closeups on faces and perspiration and grimaces, why? Why the shifting and floating around? The music isn't interesting enough? Oh, let's make a stupid little drama out of it all. Do they care about music? It's so distracting.

· Registered
189 Posts

My quarrel is with the camera men (their directors) who seem to want to spontaneously make up a movie plot as they pan around!
Closeups on faces and perspiration and grimaces, why? Why the shifting and floating around? The music isn't interesting enough? Oh, let's make a stupid little drama out of it all. Do they care about music? It's so distracting.
Actually I do think seeing the faces is good. I think the facial expression can be expressive which can create more feeling in the listener (but can have the opposite effect too if it's annoying distracting, but this will vary by the person)

· Registered
406 Posts

· Registered
8,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 · (Edited)
I'll give the fine Captain a pass and say that the Captain can find attractive whatever tickles the Captain's fancy.
Thanks kind sir. Even though I'm homosexual, I can still appreciate the beauty of a woman. Re-evaluating my stance in the OP, all I really care about is how the player sounds, but it is nice when they dress to express themselves which I think most classical artists are pretty good about doing in general.

The classy Uchida.
The fanciful Lang Lang.
The assertive Wang.
The gentlemanly Bell.
The offbeat Gould.
The sophisticated Horowitz.
The serious Kempff.
The colorful Roge.

And so on.

I listed lots of Pianists since that's what I pay closest attention to being that's what I studied in my youth; I gravitate towards it.

· Registered
406 Posts
How Important is Sexual Attraction to You In Your Favorite Performers?

You know, for myself, it’s imperative my favorite performers are sexually attracted to me. I wouldn’t consider attending a performance unless I was sole sexual focus of the performing artist. That goes for everyone on the list of pianists 🎹

· Registered
1,284 Posts
What does the physical appearance of an artist have to do with the quality of his/her work? Looks are irrelevant when it comes to creativity. I don't care what you look like; show me what you can do.
I think an important distinction should be made with dancers (ballet ostensibly being part of the classical music tradition, although little discussed here), where the art form is entirely visual; a dancer that looks better is a better dancer.

· Registered
6,056 Posts
What does the physical appearance of an artist have to do with the quality of his/her work? Looks are irrelevant when it comes to creativity. I don't care what you look like; show me what you can do.
Yes, the visuals are powerful on YT. Viewers who don't care about CM or scores might become more interested after experiencing a memorable clip like this;

· Registered
3 Posts
It really depends. The most important thing is the competence of the player. Looks aren't a part of the equation.
However, when I go to see an opera, if the Carmen or Gilda is pushing 50, it does take away a bit from the performance. Not always, for instance Berganza was wonderful even as she aged, but there is an aspect of believability.
No need to be a Victoria's secret model.

Then again, I've felt a lot of pressure to be beautiful (I'm a woman) and felt a tinge of colorism when one director suggested I'd look great as a blonde and that it would compliment my "ethnic features".
Didn't think much of it then, but now I find it kinda eek.

· Premium Member
9,617 Posts

I disagree.

Peace

· Registered
70 Posts
Looks are not terribly important compared to musicianship. For example, Birgit Nilssen, Joan Sutherland, Alfred Cortot, and many, many more. But it surely doesn't hurt to have both talent and looks...and a flair for the dramatic, like Argerich, here smoldering even in one of her more relaxed poses :

I often think Juja Wang had Martha in mind when she created her own persona.

Then there are musicians whom one hopes are talented just because they are so dang good looking that it would be fun to watch them perform:

Stjepan Hauser

Luca Sulic

Hauser and Sulik have teamed up as a duo called 2Cellos and apparently appeared with Elton John and on Glee...and they have released 6 or so albums as a duo, playing mostly arrangements of popular music. Not my cuppa, but if number of plays on Spotify is any indication, they both do, together and separately, rather well playing lots of easy-listening schlock. Oh well. More power to them!

121 - 140 of 174 Posts