Classical Music Forum banner

How many violins do you own?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
I guess I have 2 ... my 3/4 I learned on and my HOPF. The 3/4 is at my parents' house. I don't have it here because I haven't ever had the room in the car to bring it back with me. I will be getting a miniviolin for my daughter soon. I was thinking a 1/8 or a 1/16. My husband has also agreed that I can have an electric violin for Christmas this year as long as I have a job outside the home by then. So I guess later this year I'll really be rocking!

·
Registered
317 Posts
I must have 6...if you count violin bodies as well...

...I have my good one...
...I have the one my Mom bought me way back when...
...I have the cheapy one I bought for $50...but it needs repair...
...I have a 3/4 violin I also bought for $50...it's nicer than I thought it was...
...I have a shell of a cheap lefty...
...I have a cheap violin kit that I'm going to make sooner or later (later at this point)...

...and my viola...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Originally posted by Thomas@Jul 21 2004, 10:06 PM
U mean those display only type of minature models?
They aren't really playable right? :eek:
[snapback]196[/snapback]​
I want one for my daughter when she is 2. They are playable and just adorable. They are for little kids to learn the violin on, fully functioning, just tiny. I want to get her the 1/16, but my husband thinks a 1/8 will last longer for her. I just want to use it to introduce her to music.

Check these out!

http://www.violinslover.com/gamaviolins1_16.php

I wonder about professional quality though. They also come in 1/32 and 1/64, but usually kids with hands that small can't play at all.

·
Registered
317 Posts
...do you need to worry too much about quality at this stage? She'll essentially be learning the open strings and first position...by the time she's done that she'll be ready for 1/2 size...and then I think quality becomes more important...

...and this is just from the little bit I've listened in on (from a safe distance...LOL...) while waiting for my lessons, or when I'm somewhere where lessons to little kids are being given...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Originally posted by Nox@Jul 22 2004, 12:38 PM
...do you need to worry too much about quality at this stage? She'll essentially be learning the open strings and first position...by the time she's done that she'll be ready for 1/2 size...and then I think quality becomes more important...

...and this is just from the little bit I've listened in on (from a safe distance...LOL...) while waiting for my lessons, or when I'm somewhere where lessons to little kids are being given...
[snapback]241[/snapback]​
I'm actually going to get a cheap-o off of ebay... I thought these little ones looked quite nice, though ;) Too much for what is essentially going to be a toy!

·
Registered
333 Posts
They also come in 1/32 and 1/64, but usually kids with hands that small can't play at all.
I have ex. for kids with weak and strong hands and fun lessons for kids who dreaded any formal form of lessons... I'll post a few lesson plans here maybe. It's good reading for parents and teachers who are actively involved with children.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm interested in whether or not anyone is going to select 8-10 or more than 10. I think they'd have to be a violin maker or a person who repairs instruments.

Of course I already plan to collect lots of interesting instruments when I win our powerball lottery ;)

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by Nox@Sep 6 2004, 07:07 PM
Why? Why so many...and why is she your Ex??? (Inquiring minds want to know...LOL...).
[snapback]1745[/snapback]​
I don't know why so many. She is just awesome, I guess. She has her own CD at Media Play called "Classical Jam." She did that when she was in middle school. She's "ex" now because she is going to Purchase and I'm at Canisius.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah. I am thinking about doing that too after a few more years here. My friends and I are very into music and they say they want to make a CD with me, too. After this I just retire, sit back, and relax! :p :D

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by Nox@Sep 6 2004, 09:33 PM
...let me know when you put out your CD...I'll buy one...
[snapback]1753[/snapback]​
Ha! Thanks! You got it for free when we put it out, though. I'm going to have to hear you play, though. Have any recordings on CD or here?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, I tried calling yesterday for the first time, but for some reason I can't do long distance from here. I'll have to try calling from somewhere else. But, don't worry, there are plenty of violinist who go here. ;) B)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.